Finger Licking Sweet and Spicy Chicken
My family and I are huge fans of sweet and spicy flavor combinations. In keeping with the popularity of this sriracha, Heinz added this Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor to their specialty ketchup line-up we were thrilled. The ketchup is infused with spicy chili pepper and garlic flavors. These classic flavors together with the sweetness of the tomato makes it a perfect combination. This spicy ketchup would taste great on most anything but, chicken immediately came to my mind and it forms the perfect base to take drumsticks to another level.
Five Star Chicken
These sticky Asian-inspired barbecue chicken drumsticks have been family tested and approved, earning a 5 star rating and a regular spot on our revolving dinner menu. It doesn't get any better than that. See also Sriracha Shrimp Rolls and Sriracha Bacon Chicken Bites.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sticky Sriracha Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp.red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp.ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 ysp sesame oil
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks (12 drumsticks)
- 1 14 oz bottle Heinz® Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds optional
- 1 green onion root trimmed and cleaned, optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and green onions. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Using a paper towel, pat dry chicken and add to marinade. Cover and place into the fridge and allow chicken to marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- To prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an oven safe grill pan or broiler pan with cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off. Discard the marinade. Arrange the chicken pieces on the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the Heinz® Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor, honey and hoisin sauce. Divide in half and set aside.
- After 20 minutes remove chicken from oven and brush with ½ of the sriracha barbecue sauce on all sides. Turn the chicken pieces.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the juices run clear and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- After roasting, increase the oven temperature to broil Move the oven rack to the upper third of the oven.
- Brush chicken with additional sriracha barbecue sauce. Broil on each side for 1-2 minutes to char. Do not walk away. Use tongs to carefully turn the chicken.
- After charring, rest for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.