Easy Sriracha Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Sriracha, a spicy chili sauce common in Thai cuisine, remains one of the fastest growing flavors sweeping restaurants and dining establishments around the country. It’s no different in my kitchen and this sticky oven barbecue chicken makes for a family pleasing weekday meal.
How to Make the BEST Sticky Sriracha Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
If your family are fans of sweet and spicy flavor combinations, they’ll love this juicy chicken. In keeping with the popularity of this sriracha, Heinz added this Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor to their specialty ketchup line-up we were thrilled. The ketchup is infused with spicy chili pepper and garlic flavors. These classic flavors together with the sweetness of the tomato makes it a perfect combination.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Sticky Sriracha Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks: Chicken drumsticks, sriracha ketchup (i.e. Heinz or similar), light brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, green onions, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, honey and sesame seeds.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large oven safe grill pan or broiler pan, medium bowl, small bowl, basting brush, measuring cups and spoons, tongs and a large shallow dish for marinating the chicken.
- You can use an oven safe grill pan or a broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray to roast the chicken. You may also opt to bake the chicken directly on a sheet pan or cover it with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
- If you have both ketchup and sriracha sauce on hand you can whip up your own sriracha ketchup ad skip a run to the store. Begin with 1 cup of ketchup adding sriracha one tablespoon at a time and tasting to adjust to your liking, then repeat the process. You’ll need around 1 3/4 cups total.
- You could adapt this recipe using bone in chicken thighs. The cooking time will be similar but may need adjust depending on the thickness. Rule of thumb is to always cook the chicken until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165°F.
- Sesame seeds add so much to the flavor of the chicken but if you want to omit them you could. You’ll still have the sesame flavor from the sesame oil in the sauce.
- Store baked Sriracha Chicken chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in an air fryer at 350°F for a few minutes or gently in the microwave.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- This Honey Teriyaki Chicken is better than takeout.
- Sticky Maple Barbecue Chicken is finger licking deliciousness.
- Pineapple Glazed Jerk Chicken is made in the oven.
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti is always a winning choice for dinner.
- Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken Breasts only require 4 ingredients to make.
- Honey Garlic Chicken Legs from Pumpkin ‘n Spice.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Sticky Sriracha Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium green onions chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks (12 drumsticks)
- 1 14 oz bottle Heinz® Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds optional
- 1 green onion root trimmed and cleaned, optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and green onions. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Using a paper towel, pat dry chicken and add to marinade. Cover and place into the fridge and allow chicken to marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- To prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an oven safe grill pan or broiler pan with cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off. Discard the marinade. Arrange the chicken pieces on the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the Heinz® Tomato Ketchup Blended with Sriracha Flavor, honey and hoisin sauce. Divide in half and set aside.
- After 20 minutes remove chicken from oven and brush with 1/2 of the sriracha barbecue sauce on all sides. Turn the chicken pieces.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the juices run clear and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- After roasting, increase the oven temperature to broil Move the oven rack to the upper third of the oven.
- Brush chicken with additional sriracha barbecue sauce. Broil on each side for 1-2 minutes to char. Do not walk away. Use tongs to carefully turn the chicken.
- After charring, rest for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.