Sweet and buttery this Caramel Cashew Shortbread is a tea time, dessert, or holiday treat. It starts with a homemade shortbread crust that’s smothered with caramel coated cashews then baked just until set. Cool completely then cut into bars or triangles and enjoy as a year-round indulgence.
Caramel Cashew Shortbread
Shortbread, in any form tops the list of my favorite sweet treats. It’s a glorious flour, butter, sugar and vanilla perfection. Especially with a cup of hot tea. If you’ve been with me a while, you’re probably aware of my obsession with the flavor of buttery caramel. Caramel is never a bad idea, in my eyes. Combining the two, shortbread and caramel, with crisp salty cashews, qualifies as a bonefide over-the-top treat for me.
Other Desserts to Try
This caramel cashew shortbread is simply heavenly, and each time I serve it there’s never a crumb left over. While you’re here checkout my recipes for Chocolate Toffee Cashew Clusters and Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Cashew Clusters. You may also like this recipe for Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread from Bread, Booze and Bacon.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Cashew Shortbread
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 11 oz package caramel bits or caramels unwrapped [i.e. Kraft]
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup salted cashews
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13 inch metal baking pan with parchment leaving at least 3 inches overhang. Spritz the parchment with cooking spray.
- Sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal.
- Press firmly onto the bottom of the parchment covered baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool slightly while you make the caramel cashew filling. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan on the stovetop, melt together the caramel bits and heavy cream. Melt over medium-high heat stirring constantly until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and cashews. Stir well until the cashews are coated.
- Spread the caramel cashews over the warm crust. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan, then use the parchment paper to remove the shortbread from the pan. Use a sharp knife and cut into squares, then triangles if desired.