Sweet and buttery this Caramel Cashew Shortbread is a tea time, dessert, or holiday treat. It starts with a homemade shortbread crust that’s smothered with caramel coated cashews then baked just until set. Cool completely then cut into bars or triangles and enjoy as a year-round indulgence.
Shortbread, in any form tops the list of my favorite sweet treats. It’s a glorious flour, butter, sugar and vanilla perfection. Especially with a cup of hot tea. If you’ve been with me a while, you’re probably aware of my obsession with the flavor of buttery caramel. Caramel is never a bad idea, in my eyes. Combining the two, shortbread and caramel, with crisp salty cashews, qualifies as a bonefide over-the-top treat for me. This caramel cashew shortbread is simply heavenly, and each time I serve it there’s never a crumb left over. See also Chocolate Toffee Cashew Clusters and Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Cashew Clusters.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Cashew Shortbread
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 11 oz package caramel bits or caramels unwrapped [i.e. Kraft]
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup salted cashews
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13 inch metal baking pan with parchment leaving at least 3 inches overhang. Spritz the parchment with cooking spray.
- Sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal.
- Press firmly onto the bottom of the parchment covered baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool slightly while you make the caramel cashew filling. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan on the stovetop, melt together the caramel bits and heavy cream. Melt over medium-high heat stirring constantly until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and cashews. Stir well until the cashews are coated.
- Spread the caramel cashews over the warm crust. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan, then use the parchment paper to remove the shortbread from the pan. Use a sharp knife and cut into squares, then triangles if desired.