You'll delight the bread lovers at your table with this flavorful 3 Cheese Italian Sausage Bread. You can enjoy it as an appetizer or as a side dish with pasta, soup, stews or salads.
Easy 3 Cheese Italian Sausage Bread Recipe
I love to make bread in any way, shape, or form. I know that it can be an intimidating process to many, however, this 3 cheese Italian sausage bread is really not hard to make even though yeast is involved. The yeast I used for this bread is a fast acting yeast formulated for pizza dough. I chose it because it doesn't require additional "rise" time. It's readily available in most grocery stores on the baking aisle with the other yeast products.
How to Make the Best 3 Cheese Italian Sausage Bread Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Italian Sausage Bread: To make the filling you'll need spicy or mild Italian sausage, onion, garlic, dry Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, chopped parsley, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded Provolone cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, large egg and melted butter.
- To make the bread dough you'll need: All purpose flour, pizza dough yeast (i.e. Fleischman's or similar) salt, olive oil, granulated sugar and warm water or milk.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A stand mixer, large bowl, medium bowl, small bowl, skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, sheet pan, pastry brush, whisk, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons.
- This recipes utilizes pizza dough yeast. The reason I used this type of yeast is, that it requires no additional rise time adding to the ease of preparation. It's typically found on the baking aisle along with other yeast products.
- The dough for this bread requires a few minutes of kneading by hand but, no rise time otherwise, so, it's ready to bake as soon as it's made.
- You may use mild or spicy Italian sausage for the filling. Likewise, the cheese can be adapted to your liking.
- Serve as an appetizer with a Homemade Pizza Sauce or cheese sauce for dipping as an appetizer or game day snack.
- You can also enjoy with pasta, such as Fettuccine Alfredo or a bowl of Creamy Tomato Cheese Tortellini Soup and Spinach Salad.
- Store baked 3 Cheese Italian Sausage Bread wrapped in foil chilled in the refrigerator. Reheat in single servings gently in the microwave or air fryer.
More Easy Bread Recipes to Make
- Make your own Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread at home.
- Mashed Potato Bread is delicious toasted and slathered with butter.
- Dutch Oven Artisan White Bread is perfect for dipping into soups and stews.
- This nutty Whole Wheat Bread is dense and flavorful.
- Easy Irish Soda Bread for your St Patrick's Day celebration.
- Pimento Cheese Beer Bread requires no yeast at all.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Rosemary Bread from Cooking Classy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
3 Cheese Italian Sausage Bread
- 1 lb spicy or mild ground Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 medium medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- Bread Dough :
- 3 ½ cup all-purpose or bread flour (Plus additional for kneading) divided
- 2 (¼ oz) packages *Fleischmann's pizza crust yeast
- 1 ⅓ cup warm water or milk [115°F]
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Additional filling ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded provolone cheese divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 large egg beaten
- To make the Filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook Italian sausage and onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook until no pink remains then, drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add minced garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Taste and add salt to your personal taste.
- Remove from skillet from heat mixing in Italian parsley. Set aside to cool.
- To make the Dough: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- To make the pizza dough: Divide the flour. placing 2 ½ cups in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and olive oil. Add warm water. mixing until fully combined and the yeast has dissolved.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour in the other mixing bowl. Mix together with a large silicone spatula until fully combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface turning to coat with flour until it's not sticky.
- Knead for 3-4 minutes adding flour as needed. [not to exceed ½-3/4 cup total]
- Flatten the pizza dough pressing to roughly a 14 x 19-inch rectangle.
- To Assemble: Sprinkle dough with ½ shredded cheeses (equal parts) over dough then top with cooked sausage leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Brush the border with the beaten egg wash.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Begin to roll from the widest side. (Don't panic if the dough tears, it will repair itself when baking and the cheese will act as a tasty glue.)
- Place seam side down on the baking sheet, shape and tuck the ends under to seal.
- Brush the top and sides with melted butter, and sprinkling remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Reserve some butter to brush on top after removing from the oven.
- Bake at 400° F for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Rest for at least 15 minutes on the counter before cutting.
- Slice into 1-inch slices, and serve as is or with pizza sauce or cheese for dipping.