This classic Fettuccine Alfredo is a cinch to make. Serve al dente fettuccine with a drizzle of the decadent homemade Alfredo sauce for a taste of Italy at your own kitchen table.
Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
Top cooked fettuccine with this simple Alfredo sauce and create a Fettuccine Alfredo feast. This decadent sauce takes so few ingredients to make and will make a bowl of pasta come to life. Named after it's creator, Alfredo sauce is a classic white cheese sauce that makes pasta sing with its rich and creamy texture. This recipe for classic Fettuccine Alfredo features classic alfredo sauce that you can whip-up in minutes while the fettucine is cooking.
How to Make the Best Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo is not a low calorie or low fat sauce but then again, we all know this. It's beloved for its rich buttery texture and the salty bite from the Parmesan cheese. While it is simple to make there are a couple of things you need to consider.
- When a recipe requires only a few ingredients they should be the very best ingredients you can afford to use. That said, I would never dream of making this sauce for Fettuccine Alfredo with Parmesan cheese from a can. It has to be fresh. Reason? Well for one, the texture will not be smooth if using the canned cheese. It gives a grainy texture to the Alfredo sauce that no amount of cooking and whisking will remove so, definitely grate your own fresh Parmesan.
- Secondly, if you have leftover fettuccine and Alfredo sauce, reheat them gently if using the microwave. Please note, when working with cream, butter and fresh cheese it requires a little love. That said, it does reheat well and can be made in advance, if needed.
- Store leftover Fettuccine Alfredo in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Is there nutmeg in Alfredo sauce? Nutmeg and cream sauces often go hand in hand. It' adds a subtle dimension to the Alfredo sauce. Don't forget the dash or two of nutmeg to make it truly decadent.
- You can serve this Fettuccine Alfredo recipe as a side dish or topped with grilled chicken, alongside pork, shrimp or steak. It's also delicious served with my Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken recipe.
More Recipes using Alfredo Sauce to Add to the Menu
Once you make this Alfredo sauce recipe yourself, you'll be an Alfredo connoisseur and your family and friends will be SO impressed.
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna utilizes Alfredo sauce as a shortcut for this chicken lasagna recipe.
- Another make ahead casserole that makes weekday dinners a snap to make are my Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells.
- If you'd like to try it with the addition of seafood checkout this recipe for Easy Shrimp Alfredo from Bread, Booze and Bacon.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- dash ground nutmeg
- black or white pepper to taste
- 1 lb fettuccine cooked to al dente
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer stirring constantly.
- Cook for 7 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese, dash of nutmeg and black or white pepper to your taste. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately tossed with the cooked fettuccine and a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.