Fettuccine Alfredo – It’s somewhat mind boggling to know how much a simple cheese sauce like Alfredo is revered and how few ingredients it takes to make it. Named after it’s creator, Alfredo sauce is as versatile as it is rich and creamy. This recipe is for a basic alfredo sauce that you can literally whip up in minutes. Alfredo is not a low calorie or low fat sauce but then again, we all know this. It’s beloved for it’s rich buttery texture and the salty twang you get from the Parmesan cheese.
While it is simple to make there are a couple of things to consider. When a recipe requires only a few ingredients they should be the very best ingredients you can afford to use. That said, I would never dream of making this sauce with Parmesan cheese from a can. It has to be fresh. Reason? Well for one, the texture will not be smooth if using the canned cheese. It gives a grainy texture to the Alfredo sauce that no amount of cooking and whisking will remove. So definitely grate your own fresh Parmesan. Secondly, if you have leftovers, reheat them gently if using the microwave. Dealing with cream, butter and fresh cheese requires a little love but, if does reheat well and can be made in advance, if needed. Don’t forget the dash or two of nutmeg to make it truly decadent. Once you make this yourself, you’ll be an Alfredo connoisseur and your family and friends will be SO impressed.
- 2 cup whipping cream [1 pint]
- 1/2 cup butter [1 stick]
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- dash of nutmeg
- black or white pepper to taste
- 1 lb fettuccine cooked to al dente
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer stirring constantly.
- Cook for 7 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese, dash of nutmeg and black or white pepper to your taste. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately tossed with the cooked fettuccine and a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.