This better-than-copycat Alice Springs Chicken will have you dining on a restaurant favorite at your own kitchen table.
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken
Who doesn't love dining out on occasion? It's one of those simple pleasures in life that every cook deserves from time to time. While I enjoy a night off from my kitchen duties so to speak, I find it hard to pay restaurant prices for some of my favorite restaurant entrees, in particular, when I feel I can make it at home. This Alice Springs Chicken is one such dish, and it can easily be recreated for your family any night of the week.
Helpful Tips for Making Alice Springs Chicken
- For this recipe, I used generous sized 6-8 ounce breasts. As with any dish, take into consideration the size of the actual chicken pieces you're using. Smaller pieces will take less time to cook and likewise, larger pieces need more time. Adjust accordingly, aiming for an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Colby-Jack cheese seems to compliment this dish the best with the bonus of being readily available in any grocery store. If you want to add heat, use pepper-jack. If you want to be fancy smancy, go with Gruyere. In a pinch, good ole cheddar will do the trick.
- The honey mustard sauce is homemade. When making it, taste as you go. If you'd like a little more mustard or a little less honey, it's fine to make those changes. For a time saver, you could adapt using your favorite dressing such as Ken's Steakhouse honey mustard.
- If you prefer, the chicken pieces can be browned in bacon drippings left behind from frying the bacon.
- I typically use cremini or baby portabella mushrooms for this dish but, you can certainly use your favorite.
Dishes to Serve with Alice Springs Chicken
I'm perfectly happy with this chicken and a salad. That said, a few side dishes you may consider:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- Roasted Honey Chipotle Sweet Potato Wedges
- Green Bean and Potato Salad
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Copycat Honey Wheat Bread from i heart eating
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Outback Alice Springs Chicken
- 4 6-8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts (Adjust size to your preference)
- ⅔ cup real mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp seasoned salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 16 oz container fresh cremini or button mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic storage back or shallow dish.
- Whisk together mayo, honey, Dijon, garlic, onion powder and paprika. Reserve ½ cup, pouring the rest over the chicken. Seal bag and shake until coated if using a dish turn until coated. Marinate in the fridge overnight. (Place reserved ½ cup honey mustard into an airtight container and chill until assembling.)
- To prepare, preheat oven to 375°F. In an oven safe skillet heat oil and butter over medium high heat on the stove top. (Alternately, reserve bacon drippings and use with oil)
- Remove chicken from marinade allowing excess to drip off. Season with seasoned salt on all sides. Add to skillet.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, over medium-high to sear seasonings, don't cook through, the chicken will finish in the oven Turn and repeat cooking for 2-3 minutes. Remove from skillet to a platter.
- Add mushrooms to drippings in skillet. Cook for 5-7 minute over medium-high heat until softened and beginning to brown. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer. Push aside.
- Return chicken to skillet. Divide mushrooms and arrange on chicken pieces. Drizzle evenly with reserved honey mustard, top chopped bacon. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and juices run clear. (Internal temperature of 165°F)
- Rest for 5 minutes then serve garnished with parsley and serve.