This recipe for Parmesan Smashed Potatoes turns the lovable spud into something extra special. They're a delicious side dish option that requires only a few ingredients to prepare. They're certain to complement a multitude of your favorite entrees.
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes Recipe
The love of spuds is alive and well at our house. Whether I make them in hash brown muffins with eggs for breakfast, or topped with spicy beef turning them into taco taters as an appetizer or a loaded potato casserole, they're the first dish to go. Potatoes are inexpensive and readily available making them a stellar choice for families.
Tips for Making Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- I often use a combination of small red potatoes and golden potatoes for visual appeal. You can certainly choose to use one, or the other.
- You may use fresh or canned grated Parmesan cheese for this recipe.
- I find that the cooler the potato, the better it holds together when smashing. Allow the potatoes to cool for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes for the best results.
- You can make this recipe using smaller or larger potatoes. I find that the smaller potatoes become even more crispy when baking.
- I don't recommend replacing the dried garlic with fresh. Fresh garlic is more apt to burn.
- The amount of potatoes can be increased, or decreased to suit your needs.
- Serve these potatoes just as they are or with sour cream on the side.
- You can also make smashed potatoes on the grill. Checkout my recipe for garlic rosemary smashed potatoes, too.
Dishes to Serve with Smashed Potatoes
There are few dishes that wouldn't be enhanced with a side of of crispy, buttery potatoes. A few you may like to consider:
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Lemon Butter Chicken with Tarragon
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Parmesan Chicken Meatloaf from Spend with Pennies
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lb small or medium red or golden potatoes (around 12 total)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Steam, microwave or boil potatoes just until fork tender. Drain, set aside to cool.
- To prepare: Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush a rimmed sheet pan with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together Parmesan, garlic, salt, onion powder and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes on baking sheet. Use a potato masher or fork to smash to about ½ inch thickness. Mix together remaining olive oil and butter. Brush over potatoes.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan-seasoning blend.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.