Roasted Honey-Chipotle Sweet Potato Wedges – Roasted sweet potatoes are so delicious and sweet. With these wedges, I spice it up a little using one of our most favorite sweet and spicy flavor combination of honey and chipotle peppers. They’re a great option to replace standard potato wedges or french fries as a side for sandwiches, burgers or hot dogs. I can remember a time when ordering out, sweet potato fries weren’t even offered on the menu. Now, they’re so common that I’ve had the sheer joy of introducing them to my own children as a side dish option. To my delight, they liked them!
Often they’re seasoned with ground cinnamon and sugar, which is another flavor combination that I love. Sometimes, it’s nice to broaden the ingredients based on the season. This homemade roasted version is much lower in fat but packed with flavor. And, sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber and nutrients. My motto is don’t tell anyone and no one will ever know. It’s a kitchen secret that’s safe with me and I can serve this scrumptious and healthy side to my kids without any hesitation.
Roasted Honey-Chipotle Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey plus add'l for drizzling
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray each liberally with cooking spray.
- Clean the sweet potatoes, then slice the whole potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut each slice in half to create the wedge. Place the potato wedges into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey, orange juice, vegetable oil, dry chipotle pepper, paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Pour over the potato wedges and toss until they're evenly coated.
- Place the wedges cut side down, evenly spaced on the baking sheets. Then place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450°F.
- Turn the wedges, then continue to bake for an additional 20-22 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of honey.
If you'd like to add more heat, you can increase the ground chipotle pepper to 1 tsp. I would suggest, you make the honey-chipotle coating as is then taste and sprinkle a little more on top if you'd like to add more spice.