Typical ingredients include mandarin oranges or fresh clementine segments, flaked coconut and pineapple. The sky is the limit with variations. For my Ambrosia, I’ve chosen to use a can of cream of coconut in place of flaked coconut. It adds to the flavor without being a turn off to the non-coconut fans. You can vary the type of fruit in Ambrosia, adding other fruits such as fresh grapes, strawberries or bananas, too. There is plenty of room to personalize it to your taste. It’s lush and loaded with nostalgia.
- ½ box [1 pkg] dry whipped topping mix [i.e. Dream Whip]
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 [8.5] oz can cream of coconut [or 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut]
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2  oz can mandarin orange segments, well drained
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks or 1  oz can tidbits, well drained
- 1  oz jar maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toast at 350°F for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whip together the dry whipped topping mix, heavy cream and vanilla for 3-4 minutes until thickened and soft peaks have formed.
- Add the cream of coconut and sour cream, beating with the mixer just until combined.
- Use a large spoon to fold in the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Chill for 2 hours prior to serving.
2) 1  oz container frozen whipped topping [thawed] may be substituted for the Dream Whip and heavy cream.