Easy Applewood Cider Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
How to Make the Best Applewood Cider slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Applewood Cider Chicken in a slow cooker: One whole chicken, apple cider or apple juice, salt, Applewood seasoning i.e. McCormick, softened butter and garlic.
- Slow cooking is a moist cooking environment, so the skin won’t become crispy as it would when you roast a chicken in a conventional oven.
- To get the golden brown color broil for a few minutes in the oven just before serving to crisp the skin and then drizzle with the pan juices just before serving.
- You can easily adapt this recipe using apple juice in place of the cider.
- Store leftover Applewood chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy cold or gently reheat in the microwave being careful not to dry out the chicken.
- You can also remove the chicken from the bone and use it as an ingredient in another recipe.
More Southern Style Slow Cooker Recipes to Make
While I do love my Instant Pot for quick pressure cooking, my slow cooker is still my favorite kitchen appliance for making dump and go meals. More slow cooker recipes you may like to try:
- Cozy up to a bowl of Slow Cooker Potato Soup with ham.
- Slow Cooker Three Meat Lasagna is assembled just like baking but the slow cooker bakes it gently while you go about your day.
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco Dip is packed with flavor. Serve it straight from the crockpot on game day.
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables is a complete meal.
- You can throw down a Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil any night of the week.
- You may also like this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Applewood Cider Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 6 lb whole chicken
- 5 cups apple cider divided
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp Applewood rub plus add'l for sprinkling [i.e. Grill Mates]
- 4 Tbsp softened butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- The night before: Mix together 4 cups of apple cider or apple juice with 1/4 cup of salt. Stir until the salt dissolves.
- Wash the chicken, removing the giblets, then pour the brine over the chicken and refrigerate. Turn occasionally.
- To prepare: Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set on low. Remove the chicken from the brine, and pat dry.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of applewood rub, two cloves of minced garlic and 4 tablespoons of butter. Rub all over the chicken. Loosen the skin around the breast and leg portions and tuck some of the mixture under the skin, too.
- Sprinkle the top with additional seasoning and center in your slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup of apple cider or apple juice around the chicken and place the lid firmly on top.
- Cook on low for 6 hours then check for doneness. Depending on how your slow cooker cooks, and the size of the chicken, it may take a little longer likewise if smaller less cooking time.
- To crisp the skin, carefully move to a baking pan. Broil, in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the skin is crispy and golden.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving Drizzle with the pan juices just before serving.