Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables is a one pot busy day comfort food meal. The vegetables in this dish form a sort of tasty “rack” for the chicken to sit on and the juices and seasoning from the chicken lend a spectacular flavor to them while cooking. Experiment with your favorite root vegetables and enjoy roast chicken with very little effort any day of the week.
Easy Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
I love using my slow cooker year-round. In the cold months, it works to keep us filled with hearty soups and stews, and in the warm months it keeps my kitchen cool. This one pot slow cooker meal has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion for my family. How to make juicy Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables in a crockpot:
- Chicken – One 5 pound whole chicken.
- Vegetables – Medium russet potatoes, carrots or baby carrots, onion and celery. You’ll also need fresh garlic cloves.
- Fat – Salted or unsalted butter.
- Seasonings – Garlic salt, black pepper and Rotisserie Chicken seasoning i.e. McCormick or similar.
- Herbs – Fresh thyme or fresh rosemary.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 6 quart or similar size slow cooker, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons.
- Please note: Slow cookers provide a moist cooking environment but, won’t crisp the skin.
- If you prefer crisp skin, you’ll need to go one extra step and place the bird under the oven boiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking to brown and crisp the skin.
- The color of the finished product will also depend on the seasoning rub used. For this roast chicken, I used rotisserie chicken seasoning and I crisped the skin under the broiler for 4 minutes.
- If you opt to use a seasoning that doesn’t have paprika or some sort of crushed red chili in it, the color of your chicken may appear different.
- Also, slow cookers just like ovens, can vary in intensity of heat, so adjust the cooking time based on how your equipment cooks.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables: One 5 pound whole chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, black pepper, rotisserie chicken seasoning, or your favorite chicken seasoning rub, fresh thyme or rosemary, softened butter and salt and pepper.
- You can salt the chicken with garlic salt and adjust the amount according to the amount of sodium in the seasoning rub used.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: One 6 quart oval slow cooker or similar size slow cooking appliance, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring spoons and a sheet pan, a vegetable peeler, baking dish or skillet to broil at the end of cooking.
- Store leftover Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to Make
Don’t sweat dinner, dust off your slow cooker and let it do the work, instead. More slow cooker recipes you may like to make:
- Slow Cooked Turkey Breast will free up the oven on busy cooking days.
- Slow Cooked Cheesy Ranch Potatoes come together in no time flat and the slow cooker does the work.
- Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef is tender and full flavored.
- Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil recipe makes it possible to throw down a shrimp boil any night of the week.
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken is the kind of meals the family will love any day of the week.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken And Vegetables
- 1  lb whole chicken
- 5 medium potatoes sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 cup sliced carrot or baby carrots
- 1 sweet onion sliced into wedges
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 4 whole clove garlic peeled
- 4 Tbsp softened butter divided
- 2 Tbsp rotisseries chicken seasoning i.e. McCormick
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart oval slow cooker, or similar with cooking spray.
- Vegetables: Arrange the sliced vegetables and garlic cloves on the bottom of the slow cooker. Season lightly with salt and black pepper to your taste. Reserve 1-2 onion wedges for inside the chicken.
- Chicken: Pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Rub inside and out with 3 tablespoons of softened butter. (You could also drizzle with olive oil, if preferred.)
- Season the chicken inside and out with rotisserie chicken seasoning, garlic salt and black pepper, running your fingers under the skin to loosen seasoning under the skin of the breast and legs.
- Place the reserved onion wedges and 2 sprigs of fresh thyme inside of the chicken. Center the chicken over the vegetables.
- Dot the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Secure the lid tightly on the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or until the juices run clear. Using a meat thermometer 165-170°F inserted into the thigh.
- Remove chicken to a platter or pan and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
- Optional Broil: To crisp the skin, carefully the chicken remove to an oven safe dish. Place under the oven broiler for 3-5 minutes or until skin is golden. Rest for 15 minutes, then carve and serve drizzled with the jus from the slow cooker.