Asian Coleslaw – This Asian inspired coleslaw is a terrific twist on what you may usually think of as a traditional cole slaw. Classic cole slaw as we all think of it, dressed with a mayonnaise based dressing still remains my “go to” cole slaw. However, this is a perfect crunchy side to serve in it’s place when I want to shake things up a bit. The sweet and tangy dressing on this Asian slaw is terrific for summer picnics and outdoor events, too.
I recommend taking the time to toast the ramen noodles prior to adding them to the salad which gives them a nutty flavor and golden color. I prefer the noodles to maintain a bit of crunch so, I add them just before serving so they’ll maintain that texture. The dressing is so simple to whisk together, and the salad itself seems to get better and better the longer it sits. I find it’s perfect to serve with almost any entree as a salad or side dish treat.
- 1  oz Deli cole slaw mix with carrot and purple cabbage
- 4 green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt & black pepper to taste
- 1  oz packages ramen noodles crushed and toasted [any flavor]
- 1 1/2 cup cocktail peanuts roughly chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, rice wine vinegar, granulated sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, garlic salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cole slaw mix, sliced onion and cilantro in a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Crush the ramen noodles and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 350°F for 10-12 minutes until golden. Cool completely.
- Just before serving add the toasted noodles and peanuts. Mix thoroughly.
Use any flavor of Ramen noodles you like, since the packet of seasoning isn't used in this salad and may be discarded.