Easy Baked Pizza Spaghetti Recipe
How to Make the Best Southern Baked Pizza Spaghetti Recipe
Why is this called Baked Pizza Spaghetti? Some of the ingredients such as pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms and onions are popular pizza toppings and they were the inspiration for this baked spaghetti recipe.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Baked Spaghetti recipe: Thin spaghetti, onion, diced green bell peppers, sliced baby portabella mushrooms, olive oil, lean ground beef, Italian sausage, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, your favorite brand of marinara sauce, diced canned tomatoes, tomato paste, pepperoni, shredded mozzarella, grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Make a special effort not to overcook the spaghetti initially and you'll have no worries at all. If you cook the spaghetti just until slightly tender it will finish cooking in the spaghetti sauce while baking and not become mushy.
- Can I assemble this baked spaghetti recipe in advance? Yes, you absolutely can! Italian flavors tend to become even more robust when they have time to marry. Simply assemble per the recipe then cool and cover with plastic wrap. Pop it into the refrigerator then allow it about 15 minutes on the counter before baking.
- Can I make the spaghetti sauce and chill or freeze it? You can easily make this spaghetti sauce recipe up to two days in advance and have it ready to assemble before baking. You can freeze it several weeks in advance for busy day meals.
- If you prefer, you can make this baked spaghetti recipe using all ground beef or all Italian sausage in the same amount. Simply replace half of each.
- Can I use spaghetti squash in place of classic spaghetti noodles? When doing so, make a special effort to slightly undercook the squash and remove as much moisture as possible before assembling. the baked spaghetti.
- Store leftover baked pizza spaghetti in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat baked spaghetti in the microwave in single serving portions to prevent drying out.
- You may also like my recipe for Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce simmering all day and the house smells heavenly when you come in from a hectic day.
More Southern Style Spaghetti Recipes to Make
- Spaghetti Carbonara that uses ham in place of bacon.
- Fiery Cowboy Spaghetti baked in a cast iron skillet.
- This recipe for Spaghetti Pie always brings the family to the table.
- Dishes like my Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti is a nice way to add a chicken twist.
- Chili Spaghetti shakes-up the spaghetti menu with a few adaptations.
- For a lighter variation try this Lemon Spaghetti recipe from Real Housemoms.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Baked Pizza Spaghetti
- 10 oz thin spaghetti cooked to al dente per package instructions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small green pepper sliced
- 1 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 24 oz jar prepared marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 50 slices pepperoni divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ⅔ cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water, per the instructions on the box, until al dente. Do not overcook. Drain well.
- On the stove top, in a medium sized pot, saute the diced onion, sliced green pepper and mushrooms in a couple of drizzles of olive oil or 2 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Season with salt and black pepper, add garlic. Saute 1 minute..
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage. Cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan, add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato pasta, marinara sauce and 2 tablespoon parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add 25 slices pepperoni at the end of cooking, mix well.
- To assemble: Ladle ⅓ of the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish and cover with ½ of the cooked spaghetti.
- Ladle another ⅓ of pasta sauce over the spaghetti, then sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, and ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat, with the remaining spaghetti, then the final ⅓ of pasta sauce. Arrange 25 pepperoni slices over sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Cut and serve immediately.