This Baked Pizza Spaghetti is one of my family’s favorite spaghetti meals. It earned its name due to the ingredients are the variety you might enjoy on a loaded-up supreme pizza but, in the form of gooey baked spaghetti. Spaghetti noodles, cooked to al dente are covered with a meaty spaghetti sauce that includes sliced mushrooms, diced onion and bell pepper. It’s layered with lots of mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, then baked until bubbly and golden.
Spaghetti Is An “Only At Home Meal” For Us
When it comes to dining out, spaghetti isn’t likely to be a dish I would order in a restaurant. Why? Well, it’s such an inexpensive dish to make and so easily personalized to your taste. That alone puts it at the top of the list of our favorite homestyle Italian entrees. Dishes like my Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti and Chili Spaghetti are a couple of ways I like to shake-up the spaghetti menu with a few adaptations. A pound of spaghetti is super inexpensive to buy and it can be adapted in so many ways perfect for filling up hungry tummies in a snap.
Italian Flavors Become Even More Robust As They Simmer
One thing I dearly love about Italian food is, that the flavors seem to become even more robust the longer they simmer and sit. By “sit” I mean, taking the time to prepare the sauce in advance doesn’t only save time but, it tastes better, too. Make the sauce a day ahead and chill or prepare it weeks in advance and freeze for busy day meals. Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce simmering all day and the house smells heavenly when you come in from a hectic day.
For more spaghetti inspiration check out my easy Spaghetti Carbonara, fiery Cowboy Spaghetti. For a lighter variation maybe try Lemon Spaghetti or Shrimp Spaghetti for a fun seafood twist.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Baked Pizza Spaghetti
- 10 oz thin spaghetti cooked to al dente per package
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small green pepper sliced
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 2 Tbsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 24 oz jar prepared marinara sauce
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 50 slices pepperoni divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water, per the instructions on the box, until al dente. Do not overcook. Drain well.
- On the stove top, in a medium sized pot, saute the diced onion, sliced green pepper and mushrooms in a couple of drizzles of olive oil or 2 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Season with salt and black pepper, add garlic. Saute 1 minute..
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage. Cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan, add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato pasta, marinara sauce and 2 Tbsp parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add 25 slices pepperoni at the end of cooking, mix well.
- To assemble: Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish and cover with 1/2 of the cooked spaghetti.
- Ladle another 1/3 of pasta sauce over the spaghetti, then sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat, with the remaining spaghetti, then the final 1/3 of pasta sauce. Arrange 25 pepperoni slices over sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Cut and serve immediately.