Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce is Rich and Flavorful
Slow cooking is my absolute favorite way to make spaghetti sauce. AS you know, pasta in any form and particular spaghetti makes a tasty quick meal any day of the week. When it comes to quick meals slow cookers often get overlooked. It sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, I know. However, slow cooking, really does make meal time easier and it's such a simple way to get that all day simmered flavor into your meal. It's a valuable energy saver, too.
Helpful Tips for Making Spaghetti Sauce in a Slow Cooker
- While I know it may seem unusual, don't shy away from the brown sugar. It neutralizes the acidic taste of the tomatoes and lends a richness to the sauce that makes it so delicious.
- If you'd like to change up the flavorful a little, toss in ¾ cup of pepperoni minis 2 hours before the sauce is finished cooking. Kids always love a surprise ingredient.
- This recipe can be easily doubled, and it freezes beautifully making it a time saver for future meals. Divide into desired size portions depending on your family size, and it's ready for a meal in a snap.
- Add a wedge salad and garlic bread to round out your Italian night at home.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
Slow cooking is forever a go-to technique in my kitchen. A few other recipes you may enjoy trying from the MSSk recipe index:
- Slow Cooker Three Meat Lasagna
- Slow Cooked Italian Beef Hoagies
- Slow Cooked smothered Swiss Steak
- Crockpot Meatloaf recipe from The Chunky Chef
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 ½ lb extra lean ground beef
- 8 oz sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion finely diced
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp dry Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½-1 Tbsp coarse sea salt [more or less to your taste]
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce [i.e.Bertolli Five Cheese]
- 2 8 oz cans basil garlic & oregano tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can basil garlic & oregano diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can basil garlic & oregano tomato paste
- 3-4 Tbsp brown sugar adjust to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 16 oz packages thin spaghetti cooked to al dente (adjust amount based on servings needed)
- On the stove top in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, Italian sausage and diced onion in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until no pink remains..
- Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add minced garlic, dried Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, pour all of the remaining ingredients: marinara sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, and brown sugar into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add cooked ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and seasonings to the slow cooker and give it a good stir to blend the ingredients together.
- Place the lid firmly on top, and set the slow cooker on low. Cook for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving mix in ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve over hot spaghetti.
Don't shy away from the brown sugar. It neutralizes the acidic taste of the tomatoes and lends a richness to the sauce that makes it so delicious! If you'd like to change it up a little, toss in ¾ cup of pepperoni minis 2 hours before the sauce is finished cooking. Kids always love a surprise ingredient!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 914mg | Potassium: 845mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 5mg