Serve this cheesy Spaghetti Pie with a crisp green salad and warm garlic bread, and you'll enjoy an Italian feast any day of the week.
Easy Spaghetti Pie Recipe
Baked spaghetti is a favorite dish for me to make for my boys. Not only is it delicious, it's one of those dishes that can be assembled in advance, popped into the fridge and baked when we're ready to eat. My recipe for Pizza Baked Spaghetti features a combination of flavors you may enjoy on a supreme pizza and is ideal when serving a larger group of people or, when you want extra so there's leftovers to enjoy. This spaghetti pie, makes a slightly smaller amount ideal for weekday dining.
How to Make the Best Spaghetti Pie Recipe
This baked spaghetti pie recipe is one that always brings the family to the table in a hurry. The family friendly Italian flavors and easy to find ingredients won't break the bank.
- Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe or easy Spaghetti Pie: 8 ounces of dry spaghetti, olive oil, ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, a jar of your favorite marinara sauce, tomato sauce, large eggs, butter, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, dried Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh parsley for garnishing.
- It's important not to overcook the spaghetti initially for the best end result. Keep in mind it will continue to cook in the oven and you don't want mushy pasta.
- The sauce can be prepared in advance and chilled for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- I use a cast iron skillet to make this pie. Should you choose to do so, it should be assembled in the skillet and baked, not chilled for the next day. You can use any oven safe skillet to make this spaghetti pie, it's just not ideal to store food in cast iron as it could cause the skillet to rust.
- I often make 1 pound of spaghetti using half for this spaghetti pie recipe then cool and freeze the remainder for another meal on a different day. Again, keep in mind it shouldn't be overcooked initially so it will maintain it's texture when reheated.
- Store leftover spaghetti pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave.
More Southern Style Spaghetti Recipes to Make
Skillet pasta and spaghetti recipes, whether they're baked or made entirely on the stovetop, remain one of my go-to supper options. Other delicious pasta recipes you may like to try:
- Add a little kick to your spaghetti menu with this recipe for Cowboy Spaghetti.
- One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce takes the stress out of meal time.
- Spaghetti Carbonara made with leftover ham (Classic carbonara uses bacon, you can use it in this recipe, too!)
- Italian Spaghetti Salad is a cold salad that eats like a complete meal.
- Are you watching carbs? Checkout this recipe for Roasted Spaghetti Squash from Skinnytaste.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 8 oz package dry spaghetti
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb mild or spicy Italian sausage casings removed
- olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 24 oz jar prepared marinara sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- ½-1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- chopped parsley or basil for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 10 inch deep dish cast iron or oven safe skillet with olive oil. Set aside. (Alternately, you can use a deep 10 inch pie pan, or a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.)
- Cook spaghetti per the package directions in salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground beef, sausage and onion in a couple drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until no pink remains. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the skillet, add marinara, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Taste, adjusting salt to your taste. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, then remove from heat. (This can be done in advance, then chilled until assembling.)
- To assemble: Toss spaghetti with butter while warm until butter has melted. Add eggs and 3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, mix well. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of skillet.
- Top spaghetti layer with ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Spread ricotta over cheese. Top ricotta with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour 2-3 cups spaghetti sauce evenly on top, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Top with final 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Place into oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then cut and serve.