Blueberry Yum Yum is one of those nostalgic desserts that's reminiscent of picnics and potluck parties with family. The creamy cheesecake layer pairs beautifully with the blueberry pie filling making this dessert unforgettable.
Easy Blueberry Yum Yum Recipe is a Taste of Nostalgia
Yum yum desserts come in many flavors. The blueberry flavor stands out the most for me and for good reason. My Grandma made this, and her blueberry cheesecake for us and honestly, they are some of my most vivid childhood memories at her house. As with any of these types of desserts, there are slight variations, the most common of which, seems to be the ingredients for the crust. I've had blueberry yum yum made with a graham cracker crust as well as a sugar cookie crust and frankly, both were delicious. I'm partial to this pecan shortbread crust reminiscent of the many flavors of layered lush recipes I enjoy making, and it's the one I return to again and again.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Yum Yum Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Blueberry Yum Yum: The crust is made using all purpose flour, chopped pecans, melted butter and granulated sugar. Next, a layer of cream cheese whipped with powdered sugar and frozen whipped topping. A layer of blueberry pie filling is topped with a frosting of more whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a sharp knife and cutting board or a small food processor to chop the pecans. You'll also need a hand mixer or a stand mixer and a large spoon and offset spatula to spread the layers evenly.
- This dessert is specifically designed for a 9 x 9 inch pan. That said, you can double the recipe if you need a larger dessert and make it in a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Taking the time to toast the pecans for the topping is well worth the small amount of effort that it takes. Spread them in a single layer on a baking pan, and pop it into the oven while the crust is baking. Remove after 6-8 minutes then let them cool. There's no need to toast the pecans in the crust, they will naturally toast while baking.
- You can use unsalted butter in the crust, if that's what you have on hand. When doing so, add a ¼ teaspoon of salt to the mixture.
- Use a quality pie filling for the blueberry layer or make your own. You can also use 2 cans of pie filling, if you like. The recipe for homemade pie filling can be found in the Cook's note.
- Allow ample time for the dessert to thoroughly chill before cutting. At least 4 hours or overnight is ideal.
- Store leftover Blueberry Yum Yum chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Blueberry Goodies and Desserts to Make
Blueberries have a place on the menu from breakfast and brunch to desserts. Whether you start your day with blueberry sour cream scones or blueberry pancakes or finish it with a stunning blueberry cheesecake trifle you're sure to satisfy your sweets craving. You may also like to try these blueberry cookies from My Incredible Recipes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Yum Yum
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup cold salted butter cubed
- ¾ cup roughly chopped pecans divided
- Cream Cheese Layer:
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed and divided
- 1 21 oz can premium blueberry pie filling (May use 2 cans) Homemade see Cook's note
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray the bottom only of a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to sift together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives cut butter into the flour until it resembles peas. Add ½ cup pecans, mix well.
- Press firmly onto the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely. (To toast remaining ¼ pecans, bake along with the crust on a separate pan for 5 minutes then cool)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use an electric mixer to cream together cream cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla. Add 1 cup heavy cream. Beat on high speed until fluffy. Fold in ⅓ of whipped topping by hand.
- Spread over cooled crust. Top with blueberry pie filling.
- Frost with remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with pecans.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Store leftovers chilled.