Cheddar Sausage Balls – Sausage balls are a classic Southern appetizer. Made with biscuit mix, country sausage and lots of cheese, there’s no wrong time to serve these bite size nuggets. Most often I serve them at the holidays but they work very well for tailgating, too. The classic recipe uses only biscuit mix, sausage and cheese leaving plenty of room to personalize with seasonings and flavor twists.
After forming the sausage mixture into balls, they can be frozen and baked when you need them. Increase the baking time or allow them to thaw prior to baking then follow the recipe from that point. For the best results, you really should grate the cheese yourself to ensure it’s uber fresh. Once you make this easy appetizer you’ll be hooked.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheddar Sausage Balls
- 2 cup biscuit mix i.e. Bisquick
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 green onion finely chopped
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 3 cup shredded fresh sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup water
- Dijon or honey mustard for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium size mixing bowl sift together the biscuit mix, garlic salt, dry mustard, paprika.
- Add the green onion, sausage, shredded cheddar cheese and water. Using your hands, mix until all of the ingredients are fully moistened and evenly distributed.
- Roll into approximately 1-inch balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately with mustard for dipping.