Whether it's Sunday dinner or a special meal with friends, you can never go wrong when you serve Buttermilk Fried Chicken. For this recipe, chicken pieces are marinated in buttermilk which adds extra tenderness and flavor then breaded and fried until crispy, golden and finger licking good. You may want to make a double batch it never lasts long on the dinner table.
Tips For Frying Chicken
- There are many variables involved in frying chicken, such as the weight of the chicken, the pot that you're using, even the type of stove or fryer that you have. So be patient, sometimes it takes practice to master frying chicken.
- Keep in mind it's important to always cook chicken until the juices run clear, and if the oil is kept around 325-350°F while frying it shouldn't over brown.
- If you're concerned about over browning and under-done chicken, place the fried chicken pieces onto a baking pan fitted with an oven safe rack. Place into the oven at 325°F for several minutes to gently finish cooking.
- Otherwise, the oven set at 200°F will keep chicken warm between batches and for preparing in advance.
Finger licking delicious!!
Every single Southern cook and resident chicken fryer has his or her, favorite fried chicken recipe. It's often been a family secret that's been handed down for generations. I have so many favorite ways, it's impossible for me to choose only one. Did I say impossible? That's right, impossible. In light of that, checkout a few other crispy chicken recipes to make such as:
- Breaded Chicken Tenders, Oven Fried Chicken Fingers, Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken found in the MSSK recipe index.
- Other variations of fried chicken that you may like is this Sweet Tea Fried Chicken from Grandbaby Cakes and the Best Low Carb "Naked" Fried Chicken from All Day I Dream About Food.
- Also, a restaurant favorite my spectacular Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe that you won't want to miss!
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 3 lb whole chicken cut up
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place chicken pieces into a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. May cut super large breast pieces in half to allow for more even cooking, if needed.
- Fill a deep fryer, deep medium-large pot or dutch oven halfway with oil. Do not overfill. Heat the oil to 350°F.
- In a shallow dish or plate, sift together the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne.
- In a separate dish whisk together eggs with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk shaking off the excess. Dip into flour, then into egg wash then into flour again. Have nearby a pan, arrange breaded pieces on pan.
- Gently lower pieces into the hot oil a few pieces at a time skin side down. Maintain temperature while cooking to around 325-350°F.
- Cook in batches beginning with the dark meat being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Cook dark meat for about 10-12 minutes on each side and white meat pieces for 8-10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Remove to paper towels or an oven safe baking rack to drain. Cover and keep warm until serving.