This cake pan Candy Cane Cheesecake Poke Cake is filled with a sweet cheesecake filling, crushed candy canes then topped with billows of whipped cream and white chocolate. It's an incredibly simple cake to make and the payoff is huge! It was in a moment of holiday spirit overtaking me that I first made this cake wanting something that would celebrate the season and thrill my dessert eaters and this cake does both.
Candy Cane Cheesecake Poke Cake
Poke cakes typically begin with a cake mix which only adds to the ease of preparation. I love making them, and have several here in the MSSK recipe index. There's nothing like an easy banana pudding poke cake, a fan favorite strawberries and cream poke cake or for the chocolate fans, a rocky road fudge poke cake for dessert. They're typically made in a cake pan which makes them easy to pack-n-go for potluck parties, holiday celebrations and summer picnics. This seasonal candy cane poke cake is festive and features the beloved flavors of the holiday season.
Tips for Making Poke Cake
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon or similar, to poke large holes in the warm cake, adding more room for the cheesecake filling.
- If you prefer to make the cake from scratch, I recommend using my recipe for white buttermilk cake.
- I used standard size candy canes for this cake that you can find anywhere during the Christmas season. They're around 6-inches in length but, if you have mini candy canes on hand, just double the amount. You can add as many, or as little as you like, with no further adjustments needed.
- This cake should be stored chilled.
- Checkout this tutorial for how to make a Chocolate Candy Cane Cake from My Cake School.
It's the Season for Candy Canes
The sweet cheesecake filling, flavorful cake with the minty crunch of the candy canes is a spectacular way to celebrate the holidays. In the case of this cake, the grated white chocolate is the cherry on top. Merry Christmas from my busy holiday baking kitchen to yours.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Candy Cane Cheesecake Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box white or yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare (eggs, water, oil)
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 8 medium size candy canes crushed and divided
- 1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed or 3 cup fresh whipped cream
- 3 tablespoon grated white chocolate
- Prepare the cake per the directions in a 13 x 9-inch cake pan. Test the center for doneness with a toothpick.
- While the cake bakes, use a hand mixer to beat together both boxes of cheesecake pudding mix and half & half. Beat for 2 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. By hand mix in the crushed candy canes reserving ¼ cup for garnishing. Stir well until the mixture becomes a pale pink.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and poke large holes all over the cake using the back of a wooden spoon or similar. Spread the cheesecake filling over the cake gently pressing into the holes. Cool completely.
- Frost the top with whipped topping and sprinkle with the remaining crushed candy canes and grated while chocolate.
- Store chilled.