For the caramel layer, I used one of my favorite flavors on the planet. Sweet, buttery, dulce de leche. Dulce de Leche is basically sweetened condensed milk that has been caramelized. The good news is:
- Dulce de leche is now readily available in the Hispanic foods section of most grocery stores as well as many specialty food stores. It’s thick, rich and buttery, just as a caramel should be.
- Use a knife or offset spatula to swirl it through the creamy cheesecake filling.
- See how to make your own dulce de leche using your slow cooker.
- Dulce de Leche is a luscious thick caramel. It’s readily available in most grocery stores even places like Walmart and Target in the Hispanic food section. Please note, the can looks similar to sweetened condensed milk. They aren’t interchangeable so, read carefully. See it here on Walmart.
- If you’re unable to find it, use the same amount of your favorite thick caramel ice cream topping instead.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Swirl Cream Pie
- 2 cups pecan shortbread cookie crumbs i.e. Pecan Sandies
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped pecan pieces toasted
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1 3.4 oz box cheesecake flavored instant pudding
- 1 13.4 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 13.4 oz can dulce de leche
- 1 large Heath candy bar crushed
- fresh whipped cream or whipped topping, thawed optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spritz a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with baking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl toss together cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the side of the prepared pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While crust bakes, spread pecans on a baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer hand mixer whip together cream cheese, pudding mix, condensed milk and hole milk. Whip for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Spread over cooled crust.
- Dollop dulce de leche over cheesecake layer. Use a knife or offset spatula to swirl.
- Top with crushed Heath bar and sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces.
- Chill for 4-6 hours hours before cutting.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Dulce de Leche is a luscious thick caramel. It's readily available in most grocery stores in the Hispanic food section. The can looks similar to sweetened condensed milk. It's quite different, so read carefully.
- If you're unable to find it, you may adapt using the same amount of your favorite thick caramel ice cream topping instead.