Easy Caramel Swirl Cream Pie Recipe
How to Make the Best Caramel Swirl Cream Pie Recipe
The caramel layer of this easy cream pie is made using one of my favorite flavors on the planet. Sweet and buttery, dulce de leche. Dulce de Leche is basically sweetened condensed milk that has been caramelized. The good news is that it’s readily available in most grocery stores. If you’d like to make your own, see my recipe from making Dulce de Leche Caramel in a slow cooker.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Caramel Swirl Cream Pie recipe: Crushed Pecan Sandies cookies, melted butter, chopped pecans, sugar, plain cream cheese, cheesecake flavored instant pudding mix, half and half, sweetened condensed milk, one can prepared dulce de leche, Heath candy bar and whipped cream or whipped topping such as Cool Whip or similar.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A mixer either a hand mixer or a stand mixer, a 9-10 inch tart pan or deep dish pie pan, a baking pan to toast the pecans, a mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, an offset spatula and a large spoon or spatula for stirring the filling and a sharp knife and chopping board.
- Dulce de leche is now readily available in the Hispanic foods section of most grocery stores as well as many specialty food stores. It’s thick and rich, just as caramel should be.
- You can use the tip of a knife or an offset icing spatula to swirl the caramel through the creamy cheesecake filling.
- Dulce de Leche is a luscious thick caramel. It’s readily available in most grocery stores even places like Walmart and Target in the Hispanic food section. Please note, the can looks similar to sweetened condensed milk. They aren’t interchangeable so, read carefully. See it here on Walmart.
- If you’re unable to find it, use the same amount of your favorite thick caramel ice cream topping instead.
- Store leftover Caramel Swirl Cream Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More Southern Style Pie Recipes to Make
You’d be hard pressed to thin of any occasion where pie wouldn’t be a delightful addition to the dessert menu. More pie recipes you may like to try:
- Chocolate Chess Pie is a chocolate variation on a classic.
- Southern Buttermilk Pie is dreamy!
- Lemon Ice Box Pie features a citrus infused filling that requires no cooking at all.
- Old fashioned Butterscotch Pie is topped with a fluffy meringue.
- Mile High Banana Cream Pie is delicious to the last creamy forkful.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Swirl Cream Pie
- 2 cups pecan shortbread cookie crumbs i.e. Pecan Sandies
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped pecan pieces toasted
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1 3.4 oz box cheesecake flavored instant pudding
- 1 13.4 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 13.4 oz can dulce de leche
- 1 large Heath candy bar crushed
- fresh whipped cream or whipped topping, thawed optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spritz a 9-10 inch tart pan or 9-inch deep dish pie pan with baking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl toss together cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the side of the prepared pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While crust bakes, spread pecans on a baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer hand mixer whip together cream cheese, pudding mix, condensed milk and milk. Whip for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Spread over cooled crust.
- Dollop dulce de leche over cheesecake layer. Use a knife or offset spatula to swirl.
- Top with crushed Heath bar and sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces.
- Chill for 4-6 hours hours before cutting.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Dulce de Leche is a luscious thick caramel. It's readily available in most grocery stores in the Hispanic food section. The can looks similar to sweetened condensed milk. It's quite different, so read carefully.
- If you're unable to find it, you may adapt using the same amount of your favorite thick caramel ice cream topping instead.