Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheddar And Ham Au Gratin Potatoes
- 32 oz. frozen cubed hash brown potatoes thawed
- 1 [1lb] fully cooked ham steak cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 [10 3/4] oz. can cheddar cheese soup
- 3/4 cup easy melt cheese [i.e. *Cheez Whiz or Velveeta]
- 1 [1.6] oz. pkg. garlic-herb sauce mix [i.e. Knorr]
- 1  oz light sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- black pepper to taste
- For the topping:
- 1 cup of cheddar-garlic crumbs [I used cheddar-garlic Texas Toast croutons]
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until fully combined. Milk, cheddar cheese soup, easy melting cheese, dry sauce mix, sour cream, melted butter, dijon mustard and black pepper to taste.
- Add the thawed hashbrowns, cubed ham and half of the shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared dish, and top with the remaining cheese. Crush the croutons and toss with two tablespoons of melted butter then sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until bubbly, golden and the potatoes are fork tender.
- Rest for 10 minutes on the counter to allow the sauce to thicken before serving.
a.) I used a 5 ounce bag of croutons for the topping. Pulse them in a food processor, then tossed with melted butter. You can substitute your favorite cracker if desired.
b) Any brand of easy melting cheese will work in this recipe.