In this Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole broccoli, cheese and rice go together like hand in glove. It features a flavorful rice pilaf, steamed broccoli florets and a creamy sauce with lots of cheddar cheese. Top it off with French fried onions for a little crunch and it's a meal.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
This homemade cheesy broccoli rice casserole is one of our weeknight favorites yet it's tasty enough for entertaining, too. It's one of those versatile casseroles that complement so many entrees. You could also turn it into the entrée with a few simple additions.
Helpful tips for making:
- How do you make Southern style broccoli casserole? Well, it's quite simple to do and this recipe will show you a quick and easy variation that includes rice.
- Do I have to use canned soups? This broccoli rice casserole is designed to come together quickly and it does utilize canned soup. If you would like to make homemade broccoli casserole check out my recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Gratin.
- does the rice get mushy? It doesn't. That said, make an effort not to overcook it at the beginning and you'll have no worries at all.
- Can I use a something besides cheddar cheese for broccoli casserole? Cheddar cheese works best for this recipe but of course yes, you can! You can use whatever cheese you have on hand to avoid a run to the store in the same amount called for in the recipe.
- Could I use cream of mushroom soup in place of cream of celery soup? Yes, if that's your preference, you can.
- Can I use minute rice to make cheesy broccoli casserole? I don't recommend using minute rice for this recipe.
- Can I use noodles or another pasta in place of rice? You could likely adapt this recipe using noodles. Keep in mind you'll only need about 2 cups cooked to mix with the remaining ingredients.
- This broccoli rice casserole can be transformed into a main dish. To shake things up you can add 2 cups of roughly chopped rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey, cooked ground beef or cooked and crumbled pork sausage to make it a one-dish-meal. You could also add crumbled bacon to the mix.
- This dish can be assembled in advance, then sprinkled with shredded cheese and crushed onions just before baking. It's a real time saver on busy days making it easier than ever to get a delicious meal on the table in no time flat.
Other Broccoli Casserole Recipes to Add to the Menu
Broccoli whether fresh, steamed, sauteed or roasted is a spectacular way to get green vegetables on the menu. Other easy broccoli recipes you my like to try:
- Fresh crispy Broccoli Salad is perfect for picnics and potluck parties
- Delicious Broccoli Cheese Cornbread goes with soup, pinto beans, soup and more.
- Broccoli Cheddar Gratin a homemade version of broccoli cheese casserole.
- Family friendly Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells with Alfredo Sauce are perfect for Italian night at home.
- Turkey Broccoli Rice Divan is a scrumptious way to use up those Thanksgiving and holiday leftovers.
- Low Carb Breakfast Broccoli Cheese Casserole from Kalyn's Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 6.3 oz box rice pilaf [i.e. Zatarains]
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups broccoli florets steamed
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of french fried onions crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3 quart or 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute ½ cup of chopped onion in 1 tablespoon butter until translucent.
- Add rice pilaf, flavor packet and water. [amount of water specified by the package] Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer according to the package instructions slightly under-cooking.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of celery soup, cheddar cheese soup, ½ cup of mayonnaise, evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked rice, steamed broccoli and chopped chives. Mix well.
- Mix in ½ cups of shredded cheese and ½ cup of Parmesan. Pour into the dish sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese. Top with crushed french fried onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
That looks delicious! Thanks for the shout-out for my Broccoli Cheese Breakfast Casserole!
My pleasure, Kalyn!
Do you use the pilaf flavor packet?
Yes, prepare the rice suing the packet and amount of water per instructions.
That sounds great, you can't go wrong either way. Sure hope you enjoy it!
This dish looks so good, I plan to make it tomorrow with some chicken thighs on the side or mixed in, will decide when I`m cooking.
I love the look of your meals, can`t wait to try some more.
Thanks for sharing your ideas,
Thanks for stopping by to let me know. ~ Melissa
Made that for dinner tonight.. SOsoSO GOOOD!!
Thank you 🙂 🙂
I made something similar but used browned sausage and chicken. I also used Chinese chow mein noodles on top instead of onions. My family loved it.
I added 2 cut up chicken breast that we had grilled the day before and it was awesome. I would not add the salt next time enough in the cheese, rice and soups. I would add more brocoli or at least cut it larger. It was delicious.
Hi Linda, I love that you added chicken to this to make a one dish meal. Sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. ~ Melissa
I would change the cream of celery to cream of mushroom not fond of celery and add ground beef to complete the meal.
Hi Candace, this dish could quite easily be turned into a 1 dish meal Enjoy!
Either one would be a great addition. ☺
Sounds yummy. I would make it a complete meal & add ground beef or chicken