In this Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole broccoli, cheese and rice go together like hand in glove. It features, rice pilaf, steamed broccoli florets and a creamy sauce with lots of cheddar cheese. Top with French fried onions for a little crunch and it's side dish heaven.
Turn Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole into a Main Dish
This broccoli rice casserole is one of our weeknight favorites but, it's tasty enough for entertaining, too. It's one of those versatile casseroles that complement so many entrees. You could also turn it into the entrée with a few simple additions.
- To shake things up, add 2 cups of roughly chopped rotisserie chicken, a pound of cooked ground beef or spicy sausage to make it a one-dish-meal. My family never gets tired of this simple broccoli rice casserole.
- This dish can be assembled in advance, then sprinkled with shredded cheese and crushed onions just before baking. It's a real time saver on busy days making it easier than ever to get a delicious meal on the table in no time flat.
Other Broccoli Recipes to Add to the Menu
Other broccoli dishes you my like to try:
- Fresh crispy Broccoli Salad perfect for picnics and potluck parties
- Delicious Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- Broccoli Cheddar Gratin a homemade version of broccoli casserole
- Family friendly Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells with Alfredo Sauce
- Turkey Broccoli Rice Divan
- Low Carb Breakfast Broccoli Cheese Casserole.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 6.3 oz box rice pilaf [i.e. Zatarains]
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ cups broccoli florets steamed
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of french fried onions crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3 quart or 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute ½ cup of chopped onion in 1 Tbsp butter until translucent.
- Add rice pilaf, flavor packet and water. [amount of water specified by the package] Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer according to the package instructions slightly under-cooking.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of celery soup, cheddar cheese soup, ½ cup of mayonnaise, evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked rice, steamed broccoli and chopped chives. Mix well.
- Mix in ½ cups of shredded cheese and ½ cup of Parmesan. Pour into the dish sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese. Top with crushed french fried onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden.