Mozzarella Cheese Garlic Bread – I am convinced I could write an entire cookbook with different recipes and uses for Italian and French bread. The options are endless, and all you have to do is put out bread and butter and it’s guaranteed everyone is going to be reaching for a taste. This bread loaf was discounted at the bakery today and I brought it home with plans to turn it into something marvelous. The remaining ingredients I have as standard stock items in my fridge, and just a little cutting with a sharp knife and we have a cheese filled masterpiece.
This gooey bread is super simple to make. Simply cut on the bias along the loaf, then switch directions and cut again to the opposite end of the loaf. Voila. diamonds appear and are ready to be stuffed with cheese and seasoned with Italian spices and grated Parmesan cheese. You can serve this as an appetizer with warm marinara or pizza sauce for dipping, or along with a meal. The choice is completely up to you.
It’s a terrific “communal” activity when you’re entertaining as it tends to be an ice breaker when people are sharing a dish. The gooier the cheese the better. Is that a word? Anyway, feel free to add more if you like. At our house, cheese is similar to chocolate in there’s no such thing as too much. Ever.
Mozzarella Cheese Garlic Bread
- 1 16 oz loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 slices mozzerella cheese quartered
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- Use a sharp knife cut approximately 1-inch slices on the diagonal across the bread. Repeat going the opposite direction.
- Melt the butter and mix with the Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and garlic salt.
- Drizzle into the cut portions of the loaf reserving 2 Tbsp to brush on top.
- Sprinkle all over and between the cuts with the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place cheese slices between each cut. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for another 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Pull apart and serve immediately as is or with marinara sauce for dipping. .