Homemade Pizza Dough isn't difficult to make and it makes for a fabulous, fun interactive cooking event. Make it in advance and you can have your own pizza feast at home any night of the week.
Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
How do you make pizza dough? It's much the same as making any bread. In this recipe, I use rapid rise yeast which makes the rise time move along more quickly. You can use classic yeast in the same amount, it will just take longer for it to rise. After making this delicious dough in advance, set-up a pizza toppings bar with a variety of different sauces, chopped vegetables, meats and shredded cheese and let everyone get in on the pizza making fun.
How to Make the Best Homemade Pizza Dough
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Pizza Dough: Bread flour, two packets rapid rise yeast (¼ oz each), salt, olive oil, granulated sugar and warm water.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A stand mixer or a hand mixer fitted with a dough hook, (you can also knead by hand), measuring cups and spoons, large bowl.
- I use bread flour for this pizza dough recipe because of the crunch it gives to the crust. If you prefer a more chewy texture you can substitute all purpose flour in the same amount.
- Should you choose to knead the dough by hand, it may take more time than when using a mixer. Knead it until the dough is smooth and elastic, regardless of the time in the recipe.
- To make this pizza dough, you'll need two 0.25 ounce packets of rapid rise yeast. The equivalent of 2 ¼ teaspoons for each packet.
- When I'm planning a friends and family movie night I like to make several batches in advance then cover and chill in the refrigerator. Even when the dough is chilling in the refrigerator it will continue to slowly rise.
- Make sure that you grease the bowl to prevent it from sticking to the sides.
- To separate, punch the dough down to release the air pockets then divide using a pastry cutter or a sharp knife.
- Set up a toppings bar and get everyone in on the pizza make fun! Give each person a piece of pizza dough and let everyone top their own pizza the way they want. It's a lot of fun and it gets the kids involved, too.
- You can make your own Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce, too.
- You can store homemade Pizza Dough chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze it in one pound portions for up to 3 months.
More Pizza Recipes to Make
Pizza is always a winner no matter when you serve it, It's the kind of tummy filling food that the kiddos always flock to. More pizza inspired recipes you may also like to try:
- Skip the bun and enjoy the same flavors in this Bacon Cheeseburger Pizzas.
- Shake-up you sandwich menu with this Pizza Grilled Cheese.
- Tasty Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza is the ideal way to kick off the day.
- Homemade Meatball Pizza is flavor packed.
- Sweet Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza for those who think pineapple DOES belong on pizza.
- These Stuffed Pizza Rolls are perfect for casual meals and game day snacking.
- Super easy Easy Low Carb Pan Pizza from All Day I Dream About Food.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 5 cup bread flour
- 2 (¼ oz each) envelopes rapid rise yeast (i.e. Two ¼ oz packets)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 cup warm water 110-115°F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together bread flour, dry yeast, salt and sugar.
- While the mixer is running, drizzle in 2 cups of warm water mixed with 2 tablespoon olive oil. If needed add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is fully moistened. Knead until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn onto a non stick surface and by hand knead 8-10 times or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Return to the bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Turn to coat all sides. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Divide the dough in half. Press each half onto a 16 inch pizza pan and top with your favorite pizza toppings. (May refrigerate dough for up to 3 days)
- Bake assembled pizzas in a preheated 450°F oven for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- To make this pizza dough, you'll need two ¼ ounce packets of rapid rise yeast. The equivalent of 2 ¼ teaspoon for each packet called for in the recipe.