Chili Cheese Corn Dog Muffins – Do you love corn dogs but dislike the idea of frying them? I’m convinced that’s why corn dogs are such a popular feature at street fairs and amusement parks nationwide. There’s also the fact that we seem to love anything on a stick making them portable. These delicious corn dog muffins are easier to make taking the frying element out of the preparation equation but keeping the flavor combination we all love. In an effort to turn these muffins into a main course I have started serving them smothered with chili, shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. What do I serve along with them? A side of my homestyle cole slaw is my family’s favorite as well as a side of roasted Mexican corn to round out the meal.
If you’re fortunate to have some homemade leftover chili in the freezer, or if you prefer using a quality store bought version, that will make these chili cheese corn dog muffins even simpler to prepare. Toss the batter ingredients into a mixing bowl then whisk until fully moistened. By hand mix in the sliced hot dogs and shredded cheese.
When separating the batter, I always grab my 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide it evenly in the cups of a standard muffin tin. Top with additional shredded cheese and bake until golden and puffed-up. Smother with warm chili, sour cream and a sprinkle of green onion and call it a meal.
- 2 [7.5] oz packages sweet yellow corn muffin mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1  oz package beef hot dogs, sliced
- 2½ cup shredded colby-jack cheese, divided
- 2 cup prepared chili with beans, warmed
- 1  oz sour cream
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside
- Mix together the corn muffin mix, milk, egg, vegetable oil, onion and garlic powder until fully moistened
- By hand stir in the sliced hot dogs and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Use a 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide the batter into the muffin tin then sprinkle the tops with additional shredded cheese. Reserve enough shredded cheese for serving.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen.
- To assemble, top with chili, shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and garnish with green onion. Serve immediately.
You May Also Like: