These Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies are chewy and rich. They come together in minutes and the addition of toasted almonds expands the flavor profile and adds a dimension to the texture that makes them irresistible.
Easy Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies Recipe
This chocolate version was the result of a kitchen experiment gone…right! Chewy on the inside, toasted and crispy on the outside, with chocolate drizzled on top just to gild the lily. How to make chewy Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Coconut – In a medium mixing bowl use a large spoon or spatula to toss together the flaked coconut, flour, salt and 1/2 cup almonds.
- Chocolate – In a medium microwave safe bowl melt 1 cup chocolate chips in 30 second increments stopping to stir each time or using the melt function. Repeat the process until the chocolate is completely smooth.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Mix the melted chocolate with the sweetened condensed milk and almond extract.
- Combine – Add the chocolate mixture to the coconut mixture along with the beaten egg and stir until fully combined. The mixture will be stiff.
- Divide Cookie Dough – Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop to separate the cookie dough into mounds. Place at least 1 1/2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake – Bake in a 350°F per the recipe then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Drizzle – In a small microwave safe bowl, melt together the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with heavy cream. Use the melt function or melt at 50% power in 30 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth.
- Drizzle warm chocolate over the top of the cooled macaroons.
- Garnish – Garnish with the remaining toasted almonds.
How to make the BEST Chocolate Macaroon Cookies
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies: All purpose flour, sweetened flaked coconut, sweetened condensed milk, large egg, almond extract, sliced almonds, heavy cream and semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: One medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, silicone spatula, medium scoop, sheet pans lined with parchment paper, small microwave safe bowl, cooling rack and cookie spatula.
- For the chocolate drizzle you can use semi sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips in the same amount.
- You can use a double boiler to melt the chocolate or zap it in the microwave.
- These cookies are chewy and rich in texture by nature. Should you prefer, you can use pecans, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts or walnuts in place of almonds.
- You could also replace the chocolate in the cookies with 1 cup of nutella. Please note, when doing so the cookies may spread more.
- You can replace the almond extract with vanilla, if you’re planning to change the type of nuts used
- Store baked Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Store cookies frozen for up to 3 months
More Macaroons and Coconut Cookie Recipes to Make
Cookies are not just a holiday occurrence at our house. You can find me baking cookies all year long. Summer doesn’t stop me from turning on the oven to bake a fresh batch of cookies at the drop of a hat. I have quite the collection of coconut cookie recipes in the recipe index and a couple of macaroon cookie variations you may like to try.
- These rich Caramel Rum Macaroon Cookies have dulce de leche added to the cookie batter.
- Island inspired Key Lime Coconut White Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons are a classic every baker should know how to make.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Coconut Cookies are addictive.
- Almond Joy Cookies never last long in our cookie jar.
- Chocolate Kissed Coconut Macaroons are sealed with a kiss!
- Loaded Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie Brittle can be broken into random pieces no cookie cutter required!
- Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookies from Food Network.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Chocolate Almond Macaroon Cookies
- 1 14 oz package sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds toasted and divided
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips divided [use your preference milk/semisweet/dark]
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream plus additional as needed
- Almonds: Spread almonds in a single layer on a sheet pan. Toast in a preheated 350°F oven for 4-6 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a large spoon or spatula to mix together the flaked coconut, flour, salt and 1/2 cup almonds.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments or using the melt function, stopping to stir each time. Repeat the process stirring until completely smooth.
- To the chocolate add the sweetened condensed milk and almond extract. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the coconut mixture along with the beaten egg stirring until fully combined. The mixture will be stiff.
- Use a medium ice cream scoop (1 1/2 Tbsp) to separate the cookie dough into mounds. Place at least 1 1/2 inches apart on the sheet pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate Drizzle: In a small microwave safe bowl, melt together the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with 3 Tbsp of heavy cream. Use the melt function or melt at 50% power in 30 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth.
- Drizzle warm chocolate over the top of the cooled macaroons and sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Do not stack.