Family-style dining doesn’t come more flavorful or simpler than this Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken. In it, bite-size chunks of seasoned boneless chicken breasts are cooked with diced sweet onion and chunky salsa until fall apart tender. It’s a regular in our meal rotation and the ease of preparation makes it a winner every time.
Easy Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken Recipe
I often refer to my crockpot as my personal chef. We all need a little help in the kitchen from time to time, don’t we? I assure you I’m no different and when school is in full swing along with sports schedules and other extra curricular activities my calendar fills up just like yours. This crockpot salsa chicken is one of those simple dishes that can be simmering while I’m out running errands or taking care of other things for my family. How do you make Crockpot Salsa Chicken recipe:
- Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You could adapt using boneless skinless chicken thighs, too.
- Salsa – One 16 ounce jar of medium heat chunky salsa. You could use mild or hot as well.
- Vegetables – One small sweet onion.
- Oil – Vegetable or olive oil.
- Seasonings – Taco seasoning, ground cumin, garlic salt and lemon pepper.
- Thickener – Tomato paste plus additional as needed to thicken the sauce
- Cheese – Shredded colby-jack cheese or cheddar cheese.
- To serve – Cooked spanish rice or cauliflower rice.
How to Make the BEST Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 6 quart or similar size slow cooker, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater, sharp knife and cutting board.
- This recipe was developed using boneless chicken breasts. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or both.
- The chicken breasts are cubed prior to adding to the slow cooker and 1 inch chunks work best. You can make the chicken pieces larger or smaller, but please note that the cooking time would also change.
- Serving suggestion – You can top this crockpot chicken off to suit your personal taste, with fresh pico de gallo and a dollop of creamy sour cream or a generous drizzle of crema. You can enjoy this ladled over Spanish rice or my low carb cilantro-lime cauliflower rice to complete the dish. garnished with fresh pico de gallo.
- You may opt to sprinkle with sliced ripe olives or a side of confetti corn and black bean medley for additional color and texture.
- You could also turn this chicken into enchiladas for a round two meal.
- I recommend that you be prepared to thicken the sauce a bit with tomato paste to enhance the texture. Add 1-2 tablespoons at a time and mix thru until it’s completely dissolved before adding more.
- You can use any variety of cheese that you enjoy for this recipe. Colby jack is recommended but cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese or quesadilla cheese would work well, too.
- You can also adjust the level of heat in the dish by using mild, medium or fiery hot salsa according to your family’s preference. The choice is yours to make.
- A thick or chunky salsa works best for this recipe. Use your favorite brand.
- Store Crockpot Salsa Chicken chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
More Easy Crockpot Recipe to Make
- Crockpot Pulled Chicken Tacos is so easy the kiddos can make it!
- Slow Cooked Roast with Gravy is comfort food 101.
- Smothered Crockpot Pork Chops with mushrooms and onion.
- Start your day with this Crockpot Breakfast Casserole.
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice is a one dish meal.
- Sweet Crockpot Corn Casserole.
- Slow Cooked Italian Beef Hoagies cooks tender and flavorful.
- Slow cooked Crockpot Chicken Ranch Nachos from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
- 1 16 oz jar medium chunky salsa
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste plus additional as needed to thicken the sauce
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- 4 cups Cooked Spanish Rice or cilantro-lime cauliflower rice
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread the salsa on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the onion.
- Place the chicken pieces in a plastic bag and drizzle with oil. Add the taco seasoning, cumin, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Seal the bag and toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken over the salsa. Sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours on low or on high for 2-3 hours.
- During the final 30 minuted of cooking, uncover, stir and thicken the sauce using the tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste has dissolved. Use more or less to your taste.
- After thickening, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover and continue to cook until melted.
- Serve over cooked rice or cauliflower rice with fresh pico de gallo and sour cream, if desired.