Family-style dining doesn't come more flavorful or simpler than this Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken. In it, bite-size chunks of seasoned boneless chicken breasts are cooked with diced sweet onion and chunky salsa until fall apart tender. It's a regular in our meal rotation and the ease of preparation makes it a winner every time.
Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
I often refer to my crockpot as my personal chef. We all need a little help in the kitchen from time to time, don't we? I assure you I'm no different and when school is in full swing along with sports schedules and other extra curricular activities my calendar fills up just like yours. This crockpot salsa chicken is one of those simple dishes that can be simmering while I'm out running errands or taking care of other things for my family.
Helpful Tips for Making Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
- You can top it off to suit your personal taste, with fresh pico de gallo and a dollop of creamy sour cream or a generous drizzle of crema.
- You could also sprinkle with sliced ripe olives or a spoonful of confetti corn and black bean medley for additional color and texture.
- Thicken the sauce a bit with tomato paste to enhance the texture then serve over Spanish rice or my low carb cilantro-lime cauliflower rice to complete the dish.
- You can also adjust the level of heat in the dish by using mild, medium or fiery hot salsa the choice is yours to make.
- Top it off with fresh pico de gallo and it's a family pleasin' South-of-the-border inspired feast.
- Don't miss these delicious slow cooked Crockpot Chicken Ranch Nachos from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
- 1 16 oz jar medium chunky salsa
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste plus additional as needed to thicken the sauce
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- 4 cups Cooked Spanish Rice or cilantro-lime cauliflower rice
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread the salsa on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with ½ of the onion.
- Place the chicken pieces in a plastic bag and drizzle with oil. Add the taco seasoning, cumin, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Seal the bag and toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken over the salsa. Sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours on low or on high for 2-3 hours.
- During the final 30 minuted of cooking, uncover, stir and thicken the sauce using the tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste has dissolved. Use more or less to your taste.
- After thickening, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover and continue to cook until melted.
- Serve over cooked rice or cauliflower rice with fresh pico de gallo and sour cream, if desired.