This rich and decadent Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake will have the family eating their vegetables for dessert and loving it!
Easy Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
What a fun use for garden fresh zucchini! Zucchini cakes like this double chocolate coconut version, are a fantastic way to get the non-veggie eaters to enjoy zucchini without a challenge. They likely won’t even know zucchini is in this chocolate cake. I’ve never been one to hide food from my children however, I do love getting them to try a dessert with a “secret” ingredient. The fun part is watching the looks on their faces when they realize what’s in one of their favorite desserts and how tasty it can be.
How to Make the Best Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake: Fresh zucchini, shredded flaked coconut, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, large eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil,vanilla extract, almond extract, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, sour cream, milk chocolate chips and heavy cream.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A stand mixer or a hand mixer, large bowl, medium bowl, microwave safe bowl to make the glaze, measuring cups and spoons, Bundt pan, box grater or food processor, cooling rack and large silicone spatula.
- You can use semi sweet or dark chocolate chips in place of milk chocolate, if desired.
- Zucchini packs a fair amount of moisture which needs to be removed before adding it to the cake batter. You can place it into a lint free kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much as possible.
- If you aren’t a fan of coconut you can omit it from the cake with no other adjustments needed.
- You can use regular or Dutch process cocoa for this cake depending on the depth of flavor you want to achieve. Dark or Dutch process will yield the most intense chocolate flavor.
- If you want to skip the chocolate glaze, you may opt to dust the cake with powdered sugar, instead. Please note once chilled the ganache will firm.
- If you prefer warm chocolate, drizzle with the chocolate ganache just before slicing and serving.
- Store this cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring it to room temperature for serving to allow the chocolate ganache glaze to soften.
More Recipes Using Zucchini to Make
- If you love Zucchini Bread, you’ll love my Mom’s recipe.
- Other family favorites are my Zucchini Bacon Cornbread is delicious with soup and beans.
- Cheesy Baked Zucchini with Tomatoes and Gouda cheese.
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats can be served as an entree or a side dish.
- Make these buttery Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fries on a sheet pan in the oven.
- Mini Cheesy Baked Zucchini Bites.
- You may also enjoy these Zucchini Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Servings: 12 pieces
- 2 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup milk chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini squeeze dry
- 1 cup shredded sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a standard bundt pan or a 9 x 5 x 4 inch loaf pan liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. (Toss 1 1/2 chocolate chips with remaining 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour. Set aside)
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients stirring with a spatula by hand until fully moistened.
- Add zucchini, flour coated chocolate chips and coconut to the batter. Mix by hand until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. If baking in a loaf pan it may take longer to bake. Cool in pan for 20 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely before drizzling with chocolate glaze.
- Glaze: Melt the remaining 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips with 1/4 cup heavy cream in the microwave. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake. Store chilled, bring to room temperature for serving.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 298IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 3mg