This rich and decadent Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake will have the family eating their vegetables for dessert and loving it!
Double Chocolate Coconut Zucchini Cake
Helpful Tips for Making Zucchini Cake
- Zucchini packs a fair amount of moisture which needs to be removed for the best result. Squeeze to remove as much as possible before adding to the batter.
- You may omit the coconut if you aren’t a fan, with no other adjustments needed.
- You may use regular or Dutch process cocoa for this cake depending on the depth of flavor you want to achieve. Dark or Dutch process will yield the most intense chocolate flavor.
- Store this cake chilled. Bring to room temperature for serving to allow the ganache to soften a bit.
Other Zucchini Recipes to Try
If you love zucchini bread, you’ll love my Mom’s recipe. Other family favorites are my zucchini bacon cornbread, cheesy baked zucchini boats and zucchini fries. You may also enjoy these zucchini muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup milk chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini squeeze dry
- 1 cup shredded sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz a standard bundt pan or a 9 x 5 x 4 inch loaf pan liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. (Toss 1 1/2 chocolate chips with remaining 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour. Set aside)
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients stirring with a spatula by hand until fully moistened.
- Add zucchini, flour coated chocolate chips and coconut to the batter. Mix by hand until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. If baking in a loaf pan it may take longer to bake. Cool in pan for 20 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely before drizzling with chocolate glaze.
- Glaze: Melt the remaining 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips with 1/4 cup heavy cream in the microwave. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake. Store chilled, bring to room temperature for serving.