Skip the potatoes and make these Panko-Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Fries in the oven. Dipped in an egg wash each zucchini fry is rolled in a crunchy seasoned panko breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese mixture. They're then drizzled with butter and baked on an oven rack until crisp and golden. Dip in marinara sauce, Ranch dressing or your favorite fry sauce and enjoy.
Oven "Fried" Zucchini
Oh, the bounty of Summer, it's delightful, isn't it? Even more so when you get to enjoy the bounty from someone else's garden. I was blessed with yellow squash and zucchini from my Parent's garden and my Uncle Sam's garden last week, and I'm having a stupendous time coming up with uses for it all. It occurred to me, that my kids might like zucchini more if it was in the form of a french fry. However, I didn't want to fry the zucchini in oil and decided to bread it with a crispy panko Parmesan mixture and oven fry it until golden.I baked it on an oven rack to allow air to circulate on all sides, making it super crispy, and it worked like a charm.
Do You Have To Use A Baking Rack To Make Panko-Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Fries?
If you don't have a baking rack, you can lightly spritz a baking sheet or a broiler pan with cooking spray and it will be equally delicious. Serve these zucchini fries fresh from the oven with warm marinara, homemade comeback sauce or yum yum sauce on the side for dipping. Be assured, that a lighter version doesn't have to be a tasteless version.
Other Zucchini Recipes You May Like To Try
Whether it's summer and zucchini is in abundance or you're looking to shake-up your side dish menu, zucchini provides a delicious alternative to more carb heavy options. Dishes like this South-of-the-border inspired Taco Zucchini Boats and Low Carb Cheesy Bacon Hasselback Zucchini are fantastic options. Also, hop over to my Parade kitchen and browse the collection of 20 Uniquely Tasty Ways To Use Zucchini.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Panko-Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Fries
- 2 jumbo OR 3 large zucchini
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan-Romano cheese OR Parmesan
- 1 ½ tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup butter OR light butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Fit an oven safe rack into the pan and spritz with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove stem and cut zucchini through the middle into two equal halves. Next, slice each piece lengthwise in half.
- Lay on the cutting board, flat side down, slicing into ¼-1/3 inch slices.
- On a plate or shallow dish, mix together panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic salt until well blended.
- Prepare the dredging ingredients in this order: sliced zucchini, egg wash, and panko Parmesan crumbs.
- Dip zucchini in the egg wash then into the panko Parmesan breadcrumbs. Place side by side on the baking rack leaving equal space between each piece.
- Drizzle each with the melted butter.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes OR until golden and crispy.
- Allow to cool on the rack for a 2-3 minutes then carefully remove to a serving platter.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.