These Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels are consummate party food. They’re ideal for serving as an appetizer, for between meal snacking or make-ahead holiday and game day starters.
Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels
When it comes to finger foods, my family flips for these pinwheels as a casual meal or weekend grazing. This recipe is one more way to use those beloved Costco rotisserie chickens that seem to always find their way into my cart. They’re so simple to turn into a variety of dishes to enjoy. Whether we’re in the mood for white chicken enchiladas or barbecue chicken french bread pizza, those chickens can be a lifesaver for busy day meals. It works like a charm for these handheld snacks, too.
While these pinwheels are simple to make, there are a couple of things to note.
- Start with a quality burrito-size wrap to prevent them from cracking or splitting when rolling.
- When whipping the cream cheese, continue to beat until the cream cheese has fully combined with the other ingredients.
- I use rotisserie chicken for this recipe but, you can use leftover baked chicken or poached chicken, if you prefer.
- Allow ample time for the pinwheels to chill before attempting to slice. You can place into the freezer for 10-15 minutes prior to slicing to help the pinwheels maintain their shape.
- When slicing, use a super sharp knife and reshape as needed. It’s helpful to do this in advance and arrange on a serving platter. Cover and chill until serving.
- I highly recommend serving these with a side of homemade guacamole or pico de gallo.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Italian Pinwheels from Tornadough Ali.
Thank for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup thick salsa or picante sauce (Use mild, medium or hot, your preference)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 6 extra large burrito size tortillas
- salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole for serving optional
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high whip together the cream cheese, salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, salt, garlic and lemon pepper until fully blended.
- To the bowl add chicken, cheese, green onion and cilantro. Mix well by hand.
- Divide the mixture evenly among tortillas leaving a 1/2 inch order all around. Roll from the widest side ending seam side down. Shape firmly by hand.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve: Use a sharp knife to slice each tortilla into 8 even pinwheels. (Yield may vary depending on how you slice the tortillas)
- May serve with a side of salsa, guacamole or pico de gallo, if desired.