These Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels are consummate party food. They’re ideal for serving as an appetizer, for between meal snacking or make-ahead holiday and game day starters.
Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels Recipe
When it comes to finger foods, my family flips for these pinwheels as a casual meal or weekend grazing. This recipe is one more way to use those beloved Costco rotisserie chickens that seem to always find their way into my cart. They’re so simple to turn into a variety of dishes to enjoy. Whether we’re in the mood for white chicken enchiladas or barbecue chicken french bread pizza, those chickens can be a lifesaver for busy day meals. It works like a charm for these handheld snacks, too. How to make simple Chicken Taco Pinwheels with tortillas:
- Chicken – Fully cooked rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken.
- Filling – Two blocks of plain cream cheese and sour cream.
- Salsa – Use a thick salsa or picante sauce. This can be mild, medium or hot, go with your preference.
- Seasonings – Taco seasoning, salt, granulated garlic or garlic powder and lemon pepper.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or colby jack cheese. You could also use pepper jack cheese.
- Mix-ins – Green onions and cilantro.
- Tortillas – Extra large burrito size flour tortillas.
- Accompaniments – Salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole.
How to Make the Best Chicken Taco Pinwheels Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Chicken Taco Pinwheels recipe: Chopped fully cooked rotisserie chicken, plain cream cheese, salsa or picante sauce, taco seasoning, sour cream, salt, granulated garlic, lemon pepper. shredded colby jack or pepper jack cheese, cilantro, green onions and burrito size flour tortillas.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, hand mixer, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a large rubber spatula or spoon for stirring, cheese grater, plastic wrap, offset icing spatula or knife for spreading the filling onto the tortillas.
- I highly recommend that you start with a quality 10 inch or larger burrito-size wrap. A lesser quality tortilla will crack and split when rolling. Use a trusted brand or homemade, for the best result.
- When whipping the cream cheese, continue to beat until the cream cheese has fully combined with the other ingredients and no lumps remain.
- I use rotisserie chicken for this recipe but please note that you can use leftover baked chicken, grilled chicken or poached chicken, if you prefer.
- It’s very important to allow ample time for the filled tortillas to chill in the refrigerator before attempting to slice them into rounds. You can also place them into the freezer for 10-15 minutes prior to slicing to help the pinwheels maintain their shape.
- When slicing, use a super sharp knife and reshape as needed so the pinwheels will all be uniform in size. Avoid using a sawing motion. It’s helpful to do this in advance and arrange the pinwheels on a serving platter then cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until serving.
- I highly recommend serving these with a side of homemade guacamole or pico de gallo.
- Prepared chicken taco pinwheels can be made one day in advance and placed into an airtight container. If sliced, stack with wax paper between layers to prevent sticking.
- Store leftover chicken pinwheels for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Separate with wax paper if stacking to prevent them from sticking together.
More Southern Style Pinwheel Recipes to Make
There’s something about pinwheels that everyone loves to eat. You can begin with tortilla wraps as in this recipe, using crescent rolls, pizza dough and more. A few more pinwheels recipes you may like to try:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels feature that triple threat flavor combination that you’ll love.
- Bacon Spinach Crescent Pinwheels can be served as an appetizer, at tea time or for brunch.
- Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Pinwheels are made with homemade biscuit dough.
- Sundried Tomato Fontina Puff Pinwheels are made with frozen puff pastry making assembling a cinch.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Italian Pinwheels from Tornadough Ali.
Thank for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Chicken Taco Pinwheels
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup thick salsa or picante sauce (Use mild, medium or hot, your preference)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 6 extra large burrito size tortillas
- salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole for serving optional
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high whip together the cream cheese, salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, salt, garlic and lemon pepper until fully blended.
- To the bowl add chicken, cheese, green onion and cilantro. Mix well by hand.
- Divide the mixture evenly among tortillas leaving a 1/2 inch order all around. Roll from the widest side ending seam side down. Shape firmly by hand.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve: Use a sharp knife to slice each tortilla into 8 even pinwheels. (Yield may vary depending on how you slice the tortillas)
- May serve with a side of salsa, guacamole or pico de gallo, if desired.