White Chicken Enchiladas are a fabulous change of pace from classic red sauce enchiladas. They’re mildly spiced and perfectly delicious.
Easy White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
I’m a Mom, and the recipes I share on my website have been family tested and approved. My boys are my inspiration for every single recipe I’ve developed for brands and visitors alike. We thoroughly enjoy Shredded Beef Enchiladas or my Creamy Chicken Enchiladas on a regular basis. We also enjoy lazy weekends and Breakfast Enchiladas to kick start our day from time to time. The white sauce is what sets these delicious chicken enchiladas apart, and they’re a one-dish meal when topped with your favorite taco fixin’s.
How to Make the Best White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade White Chicken Enchiladas: Cooked or rotisserie chicken, white corn tortillas, green chiles, salt, cumin, lemon pepper and shredded pepper jack cheese.
- To make the White Sauce you’ll need: Butter, onion, all purpose flour, chicken stock, heavy cream and sour cream.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A medium bowl, whisk, one medium (2 quart) saucepan, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater and 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Enchiladas are typically made using corn tortillas. In this case, I used 8 inch white corn tortillas in this recipe. That said, in a pinch you can use flour, if that’s what you have on hand.
- You can assemble this dish in advance, cover and chill until baking. Allow it to rest on the counter for 15 minutes prior to baking to allow it to room to room temperature. Increase the baking time 5-10 minutes, if needed.
- I use pepper jack cheese to give flavor and added heat to the white sauce for these enchiladas. You can use monterey jack, if you prefer a milder take. Likewise, a habanero cheese would give it even more of a kick. Adapt to your personal taste.
- Serve with cilantro, olives, fresh Pico de Gallo and a big dollop of homemade Guacamole or any of your favorite fiesta toppings. You might also like to add of Easy Refried Beans or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice for a low carb option.
- Store baked White Chicken Enchiladas chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a preheated 350°F oven just until heated through.
When to Serve Enchiladas
In my opinion, there’s no wrong day of the week to serve enchiladas. They fabulous for game day eats, whether it’s for Taco Tuesday or any gathering when casual festive eats are on the menu. You may also enjoy these Sweet Apple Enchiladas for dessert from My Recipes.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- White Chicken Chili is a great way to switch up your chili menu.
- Sweet Chicken Chili and Vegetable Foil Packs come with the bonus of easy clean-up too!
- Creamy Barbecue Chicken Turnovers are a delicious savory hand pie that uses refrigerated pie crusts.
- Pineapple Glazed Jerk Chicken is sweet and spicy.
- Make the chicken in your slow cooker for these Crockpot Pulled Chicken Tacos.
- Caribbean Chicken with Honey Rum Glaze is delicious with a side of rice pilaf.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
White Chicken Enchiladas
- White sauce:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth `
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 8-oz sour cream
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles well drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 8 (8 inch) white corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro, jalapeno, olives for garnishing optional
- 2 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the white sauce: In a medium-size saucepan, cook diced onion in butter for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add flour cooking over medium-high stirring constantly, just until absorbed about 1 minute.
- Gradually add broth and half and half. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly then immediately lower the heat. Allow to simmer and gently bubble for 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat, add sour cream. Mix well.
- To make the filling: In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together chicken, salt, cumin, lemon pepper and green chilies. Add 1/2 cup white sauce and 1 cup cheese. Mix well.
- Divide filling between tortillas, rolling jelly roll style. Arrange seam side down side by side in baking dish.
- Pour white sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbly. Rest for 5 minutes then serve garnished with cilantro., or any of your favorite taco toppings.