A big bowl of Easy Creamy Chicken Rice Soup makes for a cozy meal on a chilly day. Serve it with a loaf of crusty bread so you won’t miss a drop of the flavorful broth.
Easy Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
I think comfort food takes on different forms for different people. It typically depends on the part of the country that you live in, as well as the type of food you were raised eating. For me, I have been a lifelong soup lover, and in fact, packed it every single day of grade school in a thermos. Whether it was vegetable beef soup, tomato soup or chicken noodle soup every spoonful was filled with homespun comfort.
How to Make the Best Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
This classic soup doesn’t have to be an all day process. A bonus for all of the busy parents in the world, it can be made rather quickly on busy weekdays.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chicken and Rice Soup: Rotisserie chicken, long grain rice, chicken stock, salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, lemon pepper and black pepper, herbs de provence, carrots, celery, diced onion, olive oil, low fat half and half or light cream, cornstarch, fresh parsley and bay leaves.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large soup pot or Dutch oven, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a ladle and soup bowls for serving.
- All rice isn’t created equal. This soup does best with a whole grain rice such as Uncle Ben’s or your favorite brand of long grain rice. You may enjoy this article about 13 Types of Rice on Plated.
- If you prefer an alternative to herbs de provence, you could use a combination of dried basil, rosemary and thyme to taste.
- You know my love of Costco chickens, so that’s precisely why I use the shortcut of diced rotisserie chicken for this soup. That being said, you could poach or roast your own chicken and in doing so, you’d be making your own chicken broth as well.
- To save time, dice the vegetables and chicken in advance and have them in plastic storage bags in the fridge ready to go.
- You can thicken this soup to your personal liking. If you prefer a thinner broth, you can omit the cornstarch, but the cream should still be used as called for in the recipe.
- You can also use a long grain and wild rice combination for this chicken soup recipe.
- Store leftover Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
Southern Style Side Dishes to Serve with Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
This soup makes for a delicious meal all on it’s own. However, if you’d like to take it to another level here are a few additions to the menu you may enjoy:
- A Classic Wedge Salad drizzled with homemade Bleu cheese dressing.
- My recipe for Seven Layer Salad a potluck classic filled with vibrant color.
- Homemade Potato Bread has a dense texture that makes it irresistible served warm with butter.
- Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread is a cheesy side dish that goes with any soup.
- Dutch Oven Artisan White Bread is an impressive bakery style bread you can easily make at home.
- Italian Herb Beer Bread a pull apart quick bread that you don’t need yeast to make.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Creamy Chicken Rice Soup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt more or less to personal taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp granulated garlic minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 cup low fat half and half or light cream
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 3 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a deep soup pot or 6 quart dutch oven, cook onion, carrot and celery in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high for 5 minutes or until softened.
- To the pot add chicken stock, rice, bay leaves, salt, pepper, Herbs de Provence, garlic, onion powder and lemon pepper. Mix well. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook over medium-low for 20-25 minutes and rice has softened, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk cornstarch into cold half and half until dissolved. Whisk into soup. Add chicken. Taste and adjust salt to your taste. Cook for 3-5 minutes just until lightly thickened and chicken is heated through.
- Mix in chopped parsley just before serving. Serve immediately.