This Easy Hot Dog Chili recipe is packed with flavor. Serve it as a featured topping for hot dogs at your next backyard soiree alongside your other grilling favorites.
Easy Hot Dog Chili Recipe for Summer Grilling
When the weather turns warmer, I know we'll pick up the pace of our grilling on our back porch. It's a welcome change from cold days when grilling isn't quite as fun. That said, we've been known to grill out in all kinds of weather, it's just more fitting in the summer months, it seems. Hot dogs and hamburgers of all kinds are often on the menu. It's important to have the right toppings so everyone can build their own hot dog to their own liking.
How to Make the Best Easy Hot Dog Chili Recipe
Chili is one of those dishes, that seems to become even more robust in flavor when made ahead of time. Whether it's chili with beans made in my Instant Pot or classic chili made on the stovetop, the flavors marry beautifully when made in advance.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Hot Dog Chili: Lean ground beef, diced onion, olive oil, minced garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dark chili powder, ground mustard, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, celery salt, ground cumin and a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and large spoon for stirring.
- You can make this chili using ground chicken or ground turkey in the same amount, if desired.
- At the end of cooking, if you'd like to thin to the consistency of a sauce, you can by adding additional beef stock.
- When hosting a larger gathering, this recipe easily doubles and can be reheated and kept warm in a slow cooker for serving.
- Consider setting up a toppings bar to let everyone build their hot dog their way. Some toppings, are the classics mustard, diced onion, cole slaw, relish and ketchup.
- Other toppings: pickled jalapenos, dill pickles, crumbled bacon, cheese, olives, warm queso, green onion, Southern chow chow, lettuce, pulled pork barbecue and beyond.
- This chili can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge until serving. Reheat on the stovetop until it's fully heated through and keep warm.
- You can also prepare this chili and freeze in freezer bags or containers for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat when needed.
Delicious Southern Style Side Dishes to Serve with Chili Dogs
There are so many tasty choices to serve alongside chili dogs, that you may enjoy:
- Crispy Baked Potato Wedges are super simple to make in the oven.
- Homestyle Macaroni Salad is a summertime favorite.
- Root Beer Baked Beans are packed with flavor.
- Grilled Corn Salad is the perfect use for farmstand vegetables.
- Pickled Slaw from Southern Living
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Hot Dog Chili
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10 ¾ oz can low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- few dashes hot sauce
- In a large 12 inch skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion. Cook until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add beef broth, ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chili, garlic salt, paprika, ground mustard, pepper flakes, celery salt, cumin and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Simmer uncovered on low for 20-30 minutes until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. Serve on hot dogs with additional toppings, as desired.
- Store leftovers frozen for up to 2 months.