This Easy Rice Pudding recipe utilizes a surprise ingredient that takes it over the top. It's absolute vintage dessert perfection on those days when you need a classic sweet treat in a hurry.
Easy Rice Pudding Recipe Made with Vanilla Ice Cream
That's right, that's not a typo. The custard sauce for this rice pudding recipe is French vanilla ice cream. You won't believe how incredibly it works forming a dreamy custard for the rice. While it may not take the place of Grandma's old fashioned cooked rice pudding, it sure is a spectacular way to minimize preparation for this all-time favorite so we can enjoy it in our busy modern day lives. Plus, there's ice cream! That's a win-win in my cookbook.
How To Make the Best Easy Rice Pudding Recipe
This easy rice pudding recipe is super simple and I don't want to make it harder than it has to be. That being said, I wanted to mention a few tips for you to prepare so you can move along quickly and successfully when making it.
- What will you need to make this rice pudding recipe? To make this recipe you'll need minute rice, water, sugar, salted butter, vanilla ice cream and ground cinnamon. If you'd like to add a dash of nutmeg or a little vanilla extract, you can.
- Do you need special tools to make rice pudding? The only tools you'll need is a 4 or 5 quart pot, measuring spoons and cups, a large spoon or silicone spatula for stirring and 4 serving dishes or ramekins for serving. Keep in mind the pot needs to be large enough to serve as the mixing bowl, too.
- Can I use the same amount of cooked rice for this recipe? Absolutely, yes you can!
- I used French vanilla ice cream for this recipe for the more intense vanilla flavor. Plus, it's what I typically have on hand tucked away in my freezer. Rest assured, classic vanilla or homestyle vanilla ice cream will work just as well.
- You can use light ice cream, your favorite sugar substitute of choice and light butter in this rice pudding recipe with very good results.
- Do you like raisins in your rice pudding? Add them! One half cup of raisins or dried cranberries, dried cherries or dried blueberries will work beautifully in this recipe. You could also sprinkle them on top.
- If you'd like the raisins to soften slightly, toss them into a bowl and cover with boiling water for a few minutes. Drain then add to the pot with the ice cream after the rice has finished steaming at the end of cooking.
- This creamy rice pudding dessert can be served warm or chilled, the choice is yours to make.
Other Easy Recipes Using Pudding to Add to the Menu
Other dessert recipes featuring pudding that you may like to try:
- Homemade Triple Chocolate Pudding
- No Bake Banana Pudding Pie
- Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding
- Holiday Eggnog Rice Pudding
- Mile High Coconut Cream Pie
- White Chocolate Pudding from Simply Stacie
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Stainless Steel Saucepan
- Measuring Set
- Silicone Spoonula
- Two Handled Crocks for serving soup, beans and chili
Easy Rice Pudding
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1 cup packed French vanilla or classic vanilla ice cream
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon plus additional for dusting tops
- In a 4 quart saucepan, bring 2 cups of water, sugar and butter to a rolling boil. Add rice, mix well then remove from heat. Let stand covered for 5 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Add ice cream and cinnamon. Mix well until fully combined and ice cream has melted. Let stand for 3-5 minutes to allow the rice to soak in some of the ice cream.
- Serve immediately or place into an airtight container and chill.
- Serve dusted with additional ground cinnamon, if desired.