Kick start your morning with this oh-so-cheesy Farmers Breakfast Skillet. In it, hash browns, bell peppers and onion are cooked in bacon drippings for a pop of smoky flavor. Add eggs, ham and cheese and you've got a winning combination every single time.
Easy Farmers Breakfast Skillet Recipe
I can't think of this sort of hearty breakfast skillet without reminiscing about both of my Grandfathers. They were lifelong friends and neighbors. Each had a large amount of land that they took care of and farmed. They were part of the generation that had an incredibly strong work ethic and with children to take care of, they always did what was necessary to provide for their families. To start their day, neither would have left the house in the morning without a large country breakfast. Ever. The menu would usually consist of sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs, bacon, country ham, fried potatoes, biscuits along with homemade jams and jellies. Or, any combination of the aforementioned. Often with a side of juicy tomatoes picked fresh from the garden and a pot of strong black coffee to wash it all down. This hearty breakfast skillet would have fit the bill nicely for them.
How to Make the Best Farmers Breakfast Skillet Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make a Farmers Breakfast Skillet: Shredded hash browns, cubed ham, large eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, bacon, half and half, salt and black pepper.
- Do I have to use a cast iron skillet for cooking Southern style hash browns? While cast iron skillet cooking is ideal for this recipe, you can also use any oven safe skillet to make it. The point is, use a skillet that can go from the stovetop to the oven without having to transfer to a baking dish.
- Can I use sausage or bacon in place of ham? Yes, you could. You could also adapt the recipe using andouille sausage or omit the protein altogether, if preferred.
- What potato is best for cooking in a cast iron skillet? You can cook any type of potato in a cast iron skillet but the cooking time may vary depending on the starch content. This recipe uses refrigerated hash browns for a timesaver but you could also use Russet potatoes in this recipe.
- What vegetables are best for breakfast skillets? This recipe uses onion and bell peppers for color and flavor. You could also add mushrooms, zucchini, squash or any other vegetable that you enjoy.
- Can I use less eggs for my breakfast skillet recipe? Yes, if you need a smaller amount all of the ingredients including the amount of eggs can be adjusted.
- This breakfast skillet meal can be enjoyed anytime of day. Breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper.
What is the Best Way to Make Country Breakfast Skillets
What exactly is a breakfast skillet? It's a downhome way to make a hearty meal usually consisting of hash brown potatoes and any variety of vegetables. In the case of this recipe, it's all held together with scrambled eggs. Breakfast skillets can be made on the stovetop or the oven. You can enjoy this recipe at any meal, it makes a delicious supper, too. It's good for the soul kind of food.
What Ingredients Can be Used in a Southern Breakfast Skillet
This breakfast skillet is super versatile in the sense you can adjust the ingredients to what you have on hand or to your personal taste.
- For example, ham is a given after the holidays when I have extra on hand, but cooked sausage would also work. You could also use crumbled bacon or cubed steak pieces.
- Feel free to change up the type of cheese that you use. For a bit of a kick, use pepper jack cheese and for a milder finish colby jack or muenster.
- If you'd like to try your hand at homemade sausage checkout this recipe for Homemade Country Sausage from Bobbi's Cozy Kitchen.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes to Make
Use your cast iron skillet to make these favorite recipes.
- Cast iron Skillet Ham and Cheddar Cornbread.
- Skillet Potato Hash with Zucchini and Smoked Sausages.
- Skillet Potato Hash with Baked Eggs
- Cast iron Skillet Eggs with Tomatoes and Spinach
- Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits a popular recipe that remains a fan favorite.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Farmers Breakfast Skillet
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 4 medium green onion sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium green bell pepper diced
- 8 oz cubed ham or cooked sausage
- 12 large eggs OR the equivalent of egg whites OR 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites
- ½ cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheese your preference
- seasoned salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On the stove top in a 12-inch cast iron or oven safe skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the skillet to paper towels to drain, reserving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the green onion and sliced bell peppers to the drippings. Reserve some of the green onion for garnishing.
- Saute over medium-high for 3 minutes or until softened. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the shredded hash brown potatoes to the pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring periodically until lightly browned and heated through. Season with a sprinkle of seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Spread the hash browns evenly on the bottom of the skillet, then sprinkle the crumbled bacon and cubed ham over the hash browns.
- Top with ½ of the shredded cheese. Reserve some bacon for garnishing.
- Whip the eggs or egg whites with the half & half or cream. Season lightly with seasoned salt and black pepper. Pour on top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Garnish with reserved green onion and bacon crumbles.