Kick start your morning with this oh-so-cheesy Farmers Breakfast Skillet. Hash browns, bell peppers and onion cooked in bacon drippings for a pop of smoky flavor. Add eggs, ham and cheese and you've got a winning combination every single time.
Farmers Breakfast Skillet Recipe
I can't think of this sort of hearty breakfast skillet without reminiscing about both of my Grandfathers. They were lifelong friends and neighbors. Each had a large amount of land that they took care of and farmed. They were part of the generation that had an incredibly strong work ethic and with children to take care of, they always did what was necessary to provide for their families. To start their day, neither would have left the house in the morning without a large country breakfast. Ever.
Farmers Breakfast Ideas
The menu would usually consist of sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs, bacon, country ham, fried potatoes, biscuits along with homemade jams and jellies. Or, any combination of the aforementioned. Often with a side of juicy tomatoes picked fresh from the garden and a pot of strong black coffee to wash it all down. This hearty breakfast skillet would have fit the bill nicely for them.
Weekend Breakfast Fare
While we love our home, we don't have as much land as they did. That said, breakfast is just as important for my family. Since our weekday mornings are quite busy, breakfasts like this one would be most likely enjoyed on the weekend. It's a fantastic time for conversation and reconnecting after going our own way all week.
Personalize Ingredients in this Breakfast Skillet to Taste
This breakfast skillet is super versatile in the sense you can adjust the ingredients to what you have on hand or to your personal taste. For example, ham is a given after the holidays when I have extra on hand but, cooked sausage would also work. You could also use bacon alone. You can also change the type of cheese that you use. For a bit of a kick, use pepper jack cheese and for a milder finish colby jack or muenster. If you'd like to try your hand at homemade checkout this recipe for Homemade Country Sausage from Bobbi's Cozy Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Farmers Breakfast Skillet
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 4 medium green onion sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium green bell pepper diced
- 8 oz cubed ham or cooked sausage
- 12 large eggs OR the equivalent of egg whites OR 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites
- ½ cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheese your preference
- seasoned salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On the stove top in a 12-inch cast iron or oven safe skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the skillet to paper towels to drain, reserving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the green onion and sliced bell peppers to the drippings. Reserve some of the green onion for garnishing.
- Saute over medium-high for 3 minutes or until softened. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the shredded hash brown potatoes to the pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring periodically until lightly browned and heated through. Season with a sprinkle of seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Spread the hash browns evenly on the bottom of the skillet, then sprinkle the crumbled bacon and cubed ham over the hash browns.
- Top with ½ of the shredded cheese. Reserve some bacon for garnishing.
- Whip the eggs or egg whites with the half & half or cream. Season lightly with seasoned salt and black pepper. Pour on top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Garnish with reserved green onion and bacon crumbles.