These Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes are a spectacular grillin' and chillin' side dish that can be made in a snap. Start with cold cooked red potatoes then gently smash them, season with garlic and rosemary then a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese just before serving. Grill them until heated through and slightly crisp and they're ready to serve alongside your favorite grilled entrees.
Easy Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes Recipe
I began grilling potatoes as a way to serve a side dish that could be made alongside steak, burgers, chicken or pork on the grill. I love to make these these potatoes for entertaining, as they can be baked the day before and chilled. While the entrée is resting, toss these beauties on the grill and brush with the seasoned oil. These garlic rosemary infused potatoes are a scrumptious grilled side dish and they're company worthy.
How to Make the Best Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
- Ingredients you'll need to make Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes: Red potatoes, kosher salt and olive oil. For gilling the potatoes you'll need: More olive oil for brushing the potatoes, fresh rosemary and garlic cloves, garlic salt, black pepper or red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A sheet pan, a grill or cast iron grill pan if making indoors, a sharp knife and cutting board, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a pastry brush and tongs for turning.
- How do you make smashed potatoes? Lay the cooked and cooled whole red potatoes on a cutting board and use a large spatula to gently press until the potato flesh is exposed. Don't be too aggressive or you'll end up with a ruined potato.
- When developing this recipe, I experimented with leftover baked potatoes and discovered that it was actually better to start with cold potatoes, as they reheat beautifully and hold together better.
- By gently "smashing" them, it exposes the flesh of the potato and allows the seasonings to flavor inside and out.
- A snippet of chopped fresh rosemary, olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper and you're good to go. Just before serving, I like to lightly sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese adding a bit of saltiness and texture.
- Store leftover smashed potatoes chilled in the refrigerator. Reheat on the grill or in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
More Southern Style Potato Recipes to Make
- You may like to try are these cute Baby Potato Kabobs
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad combines everything you love about a baked potato and fuses it with potato salad.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Potato Casserole is a side dish or an entree.
- Crispy Baked Potato Wedges can be served along steak, burgers or hotdogs.
- Baked Potato Nachos for game day snacking.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
- 3 lb small red potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- To grill:
- 3 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and pat dry the potatoes. Toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoon olive oil. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Season with kosher salt..
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until fork tender. Cool completely and chill.
- To grill: Mix together 3 tablespoon olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, minced garlic, garlic salt and black pepper.
- Oil the grates of a gas grill and heat to medium-high.
- Use a spatula and gently press each potato to "smash." to around ¾ inch thickness.
- Brush the potatoes with the seasoned olive oil.on all sides.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and heated through.
- Carefully remove to a platter.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
DELICIOUS and SO EASY!! My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'm always looking for a something a little different.
Thanks so much!
This is my first time posting a comment about a recipe on Pinterest or anywhere else for that matter. I just have to tell you how amazing your smashed potatoes taste! Simply phenomenal! You need to know that I'm a nervous cook, and preparing a menu for 8 people was intimidating. I decided to use your recipe and not only was it super easy to make, it actually wound up looking like the picture! How often does that happen? Like never for me! I served them alongside a terrific salad, yummy green beans, and a no-fail delicious pork tenderloin. The smashed potatoes were the hit of dinner. Serious oooohs and aaaahs! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous recipe and, as I write you this note, I'm roasting another round for dinner tonight...can't wait!
Kae from British Columbia, Canada
Hi Kae, I am just delighted you enjoyed this simple dish and your guests enjoyed it as well. Thank you SO much for taking the time to let me know. Keep cooking and your confidence will grow. ☺
Thanks for the confidence booster Melissa! Getting braver as the days go by and I plan to prowl through your website for more of your recipe gems. Will let you know how I make out!
Wonderful, visit often!
Great recipes to try. Keep them coming. And a big Thanks to you for all you do.