These Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes are a spectacular grillin’ and chillin’ side dish that can be made in a snap. Start with cold cooked red potatoes then gently smash them, season with garlic and rosemary then a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese just before serving. Grill them until heated through and slightly crisp and they’re ready to serve alongside your favorite grilled entrees.
I began grilling potatoes as a way to serve a side dish that could be made alongside steak, burgers, chicken or pork on the grill. I experimented with leftover baked potatoes and discovered that it was actually better to start with cold potatoes, as they reheat beautifully and hold together better. By gently “smashing” them, it exposes the flesh of the potato and allows the seasonings to flavor inside and out.How do you “smash” them? Lay the cooked potato on a cutting board and use a large spatula to gently press until the potato flesh is exposed. Don’t be too aggressive or you’ll end up with a ruined potato. A snippet of chopped fresh rosemary, olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper and you’re good to go. Just before serving, I like to lightly sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese adding a bit of saltiness and texture. I love to make these for entertaining, as they can be baked the day before and chilled. While the entree is resting, toss these beauties on the grill and brush with the seasoned oil. These garlic rosemary infused potatoes are a scrumptious grilled side dish and they’re company worthy.
You may also like: Baby Potato Kabobs, Beer and Ranch Chicken Potato Kabobs and Grilled Potatoes with Rosemary and Smoked Paprika.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Grilled Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
- 3 lb small red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- To grill:
- 3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and pat dry the potatoes. Toss the potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Season with kosher salt..
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until fork tender. Cool completely and chill.
- To grill: Mix together 3 Tbsp olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, minced garlic, garlic salt and black pepper.
- Oil the grates of a gas grill and heat to medium-high.
- Use a spatula and gently press each potato to "smash." to around 3/4 inch thickness.
- Brush the potatoes with the seasoned olive oil.on all sides.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and heated through.
- Carefully remove to a platter.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.