This Grilled Southwestern Chicken Salad is a restaurant quality dish you can make at home. It’s filled with fresh leafy greens, pico de gallo, black beans and roasted corn for the ultimate make at home meal.
Grilled Southwestern Chicken Salad
I think every dining establishment has their take on a grilled Mexican chicken or Southwestern chicken salad on the menu. I admit, it’s often what I go to first for consideration when ordering my meal. If you think about the ingredients, it’s not difficult at all to recreate at home and you can top it however it suits your fancy. We now enjoy this salad so much, it makes it far more difficult to order one like it in a restaurant unless it’s an outstanding version. It’s filling and good for you and no taco shell required.
Tips for Making Grilled Chicken Salad
This recipe gives you plenty of room to personalize. Have fun with the toppings and fill it up with plenty of fresh vegetables.
- The size of the chicken pieces is completely up to you. You can grill a four, six or eight ounce boneless skinless chicken depending on the appetite of those you’re serving.
- When changing the size of the chicken breast, the cooking time may need adjusting, too. smaller chicken pieces will cook more quickly. Likewise, large pieces may take longer. Use a thermometer inserted into the side of the chicken pieces and it’ll take the guessing out of the equation.
- The same goes for the toppings. You can add shredded cheese, crumbled queso fresco, tortilla strips, sour cream or whatever your heart desires.
- To save time, make the pico de gallo and roasted corn in advance and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time flat.
- You can drizzle this salad with your favorite prepared Ranch dressing or whip up a batch of my famous Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing inspired by the dressing at Chick-fil-A.
- You may also like to try my recipe for Southwestern Casserole with a Sweet Corn Crust.
- You may also like this recipe for Southwestern Casserole with Beef and Beans from Low Carb Yum.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Grilled Southwestern Chicken Salad
Servings: 4 Salads
- 4 6-8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Roasted Corn:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 10 cups Spring mix salad greens
- 2 cups pico de gallo
- 1 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 batch Homemade Avocado Lime Dressing
- Additional toppings: tortilla strips, crushed Doritos, guacamole, shredded cheese, queso fresco, olives
- In a small bowl mix together taco seasoning, oil and lime juice. Rub on all sides of chicken breasts then place into a large plastic storage bag, seal and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the chicken: Brush the grates of a gas grill with oil. Preheat to medium-high. Grill the chicken breasts for 4 minutes per side or until the juices run clear and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove to a platter to allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Meanwhile prepare the corn: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Move oven rack to upper third of oven. Use a non stick baking sheet or line with foil, spritzed with cooking spray. Spread corn on pan with jalapeno and red bell pepper. Spritz lightly with cooking spray. Season with garlic salt and black pepper, toss to combine. Spread in a single layer. (Eyeball amount, to your taste)
- Roast for 15-18 minutes, until the corn begins to caramelize. Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- To assemble: Toss the salad greens with the red pepper slices, tortilla strips, roasted corn, black beans and arrange the sliced chicken on top.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 638kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 145g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 1683mg | Potassium: 744mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 4024IU | Vitamin C: 112mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 2mg