This Homemade Taco Seasoning is a cinch to make and the ingredients are likely already available in your pantry. Store it in an airtight container for up to one month and you're ready for a family fiesta at home.
Easy to Make at Home Taco Seasoning
We all grab those little packets of taco seasoning to make dinner prep more efficient. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, no judgment at all. It's one of those convenience items that takes the stress out of meal prep and allows you to get dinner ready in a hurry. Many of the prepared taco blends have high amounts of sodium for flavor, and making it yourself at home gives you the freedom to adjust the amount according to your own taste.
Helpful Tips for Making Your Own Taco Seasoning Blend
This seasoning literally takes 2 minutes to make and half of that time is collecting the spices.
- I keep Mexican oregano on hand but, you can also use dried cilantro or Italian oregano as a substitution.
- Cornstarch is not only a thickening agent, it also prevents the seasonings from clumping together.
- This recipe makes around 8 Tbsp, but may vary slightly depending on how accurately the seasonings are measured, and if any are omitted.
- When using in place of a packet of taco seasoning, use 2 Tbsp adjusting the amount using more or less, to your personal taste.
- This recipe easily doubles and triples.
- You can store in an airtight container for up to one month at room temperature.
Recipes to Make Using Taco Seasoning
You can use this seasoning to make homemade ground beef or chicken tacos or any recipe that calls for taco seasoning. A few examples:
- Fiesta Taco Salad
- Taco Stuffed Bread
- Easy Cheesy Taco Sliders
- Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup
- Taco Braid from 365 Days of Baking
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder May adjust to taste
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano OR dried cilantro OR 1 ½ tsp Italian oregano
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp ground ancho chili or cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- Whisk together all ingredients together on a plate or small mixing bowl.
- Use 2 Tbsp in place of one packet prepared taco seasoning. Yield: Approximately 8 Tbsp
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 month.