This Homemade Taco Seasoning is a cinch to make and the ingredients are likely already available in your pantry. Store it in an airtight container for up to one month and you're ready for a family fiesta at home.
Easy to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
We all grab those little packets of taco seasoning to make dinner prep more efficient. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, no judgment at all. It's one of those convenience items that takes the stress out of meal prep and allows you to get dinner ready in a hurry. Many of the prepared taco blends have high amounts of sodium for flavor, and making it yourself at home gives you the freedom to adjust the amount according to your own taste.
How to Make the Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
This seasoning literally takes 2 minutes to make and half of that time is collecting the spices. Start with fresh spices and store it in an airtight container and you'll have taco seasoning ready for your own taco feast at home in no time flat.
- What's in taco seasoning? This seasoning is like any other in that it depends on the preference of the cook. To make this recipe you'll need: Dark chili powder, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, ground cumin, onion powder, Mexican oregano, salt, lemon pepper cornstarch, ancho chili powder and ground cinnamon.
- I keep Mexican oregano on hand, but you can also use dried cilantro or Italian oregano as a substitution.
- Cornstarch is not only a thickening agent, it also prevents the seasonings from clumping together.
- This recipe makes around 8 tablespoons but may vary slightly depending on how accurately the seasonings are measured, and if any are omitted.
- When using in place of a packet of taco seasoning, use 2 tablespoons adjusting the amount using more or less, to your personal taste.
- This recipe easily doubles and triples for a larger batch to share with friends.
- You can use this seasoning to make tacos, steak fajitas, chicken fajitas, taco soup, pork carnitas or any recipe that calls for a packet of taco seasoning,
- You can store homemade taco seasoning in an airtight container or mason jar for up to one month at room temperature.
Southern Style Recipes to Make Using Homemade Taco Seasoning
You can use this seasoning to make homemade ground beef or chicken tacos or any recipe that calls for taco seasoning. A few examples:
- Fiesta Taco Salad is an easy way to have dinner on the table in a snap.
- Taco Stuffed Bread is an open faced sub that includes everything we love about classic ground beef tacos.
- Easy Cheesy Taco Sliders are perfect for casual dinners and game day snacking.
- Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup is a bowl filled with South of the border inspired comfort.
- Taco Braid from 365 Days of Baking
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon dark chili powder May adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano OR dried cilantro OR 1 ½ teaspoon Italian oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ancho chili or cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whisk together all ingredients together on a plate or small mixing bowl.
- Use 2 tablespoon in place of one packet prepared taco seasoning. Yield: Approximately 8 Tbsp
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 month.