You'll save money and time when you make your own ground beef Taco Meat at home. Serve these delicious beef stuffed tacos topped with your favorite fixings and make a delicious homestyle fiesta happen in your own kitchen.
Easy Taco Meat Recipe
How do you make ground beef for tacos? The fun thing about this recipe is that you may have everything you need at home to personalize to your family's taste. Begin by browning ground beef over medium-high heat with onion in a large skillet drizzled with a little olive oil. Cook it until no pink remains then drain all excess fat from the pan. Next, add tomato sauce, chili powder, lemon pepper, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and granulated garlic. Mix everything together then let it simmer on low to allow the flavors to marry.
How to Make the BEST Taco Meat Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Taco Meat: Ground beef (85/15), olive oil, diced onion, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, lemon pepper, cumin, paprika, onion powder, granulated garlic.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A 10 or 12 inch skillet, measuring spoons, large spoon for stirring, sharp knife and chopping board plus a cheese grater and any bowls you'll need to prepare the toppings for your tacos.
- You can make this same recipe using ground turkey, ground chicken or ground pork. Should you choose to use a seasoned sausage like ground chorizo you may need to adjust the seasonings.
- You can make this taco meat one day in advance and chill it in the refrigerator for a busy day meal.
- It's super fun to set up a toppings bar and let the family build their own tacos. Some things you may want to include would be shredded cheese or crumbled cotija cheese, sour cream, lettuce, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, sliced olives, pico de gallo and guacamole. The sky's the limit, these are just to inspire you to build and make these tacos your own!
- Store cooked Taco Meat chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings gently in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat. You can add a little water, or taco sauce to thin and add moisture, if needed.
- On busy days, you can make this taco meat on the stovetop, then place it into a crockpot on the warm setting. This is especially helpful when you have everyone going in many directions for after school and college activities and differing work schedules.
- Make a double batch and you can freeze it! Store Taco Meat frozen for up to 3 months.
More Taco Recipes to Make
- Top this Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie with your favorite fixings.
- Pick up one of those fluffy inexpensive loaves of bread from the grocery store bakery and make this open faced Taco Stuffed Bread for the family.
- Make your own Taco Seasoning and you'll never be without!
- Easy Fish Tacos come together in minutes.
- These little Beef Taco Cups are a fun appetizer for game day or snacking.
- The family will flip for this kicked-up Taco Mac and Cheese.
- Stuffed Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread.
- Slow Cooker Taco Dip from Magical Slow Cooker.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Taco Meat Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef (85/15)
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Heat a large skillet to medium high. Drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil, then add ground beef and diced onion. Cook over medium high for 8-10 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the pan add tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, lemon pepper, paprika, cumin, onion powder and granulated garlic. Mix well.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately on warm or crispy tortillas with your favorite taco fixings.