This homemade Hush Puppies recipe results in perfect little crispy fried cornbread fritters that are impossible to resist. They're a no brainer addition to your homestyle seafood meals as well as any meal when you're looking for a delicious Southern style side dish to make.
Easy Hush Puppies Recipe
I love the whimsical stories that surround how hush puppies earned their name. Regardless, they're insanely delicious and addictive. So, how do you make Hush Puppies? First sift together cornmeal, all purpose flour and granulated sugar. Add in a variety of seasonings per the recipe for added flavor then whisk in buttermilk and egg. Once combined, use a scoop to drop mounds of dough into hot oil and fry until golden turning as needed for even browning. Once cooked, serve them immediately as a side dish or an appetizer.
How to Make the BEST Hush Puppies Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Hush Puppies: All purpose flour, plain yellow cornmeal, granulated sugar, diced onion, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, paprika, large egg, buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda plus vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, Dutch oven, frying thermometer, sheet pan lined with paper towels, slotted spoon or stainless steel spider to remove them from the oil and a small scoop for dividing the batter.
- It's important to monitor the oil temperature throughout frying the hush puppies. The oil will naturally drop in temperature as you add batter to the oil and if kept between 350-360°F, they won't absorb too much oil and become greasy.
- You can adjust the size of the hush puppies depending on the size scoop used. Think 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons for each one. If you make them smaller, they'll cook quicker. If you make them larger, they'll take longer to cook. Adjust accordingly.
- Hush puppies are best made and eaten immediately. Any that you have leftover can be reheated on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven just until crisped or in an air fryer until heated through. You can also reheat them for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Store Hush Puppies in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can freeze them as well, and then thaw and reheat as described above. They'll keep frozen for up to 3 months.
More Easy Cornbread Recipes to Make
- Hot Water Cornbread is made with only 4 ingredients and cooked on the stovetop in a skillet.
- Cheddar Bacon Jalapeno Loaf is a fresh take on cornbread that turns it into a sandwich style bread.
- Mexican Cornbread is the ideal side for a bowl of chili or pinto beans.
- This layered Cornbread Salad is packed with vibrant colors.
- Skillet Zucchini Bacon Cornbread is a fabulous way to use up summer zucchini.
- Top this Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread with your favorite taco fixings.
- Keto Cornbread from A Big Man's World.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 medium sweet onion small dice
- 1 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying
- Southern comeback sauce, honey or butter for serving
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to sift together all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, paprika and baking soda. Add the onion, then stir to evenly distribute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Make a well in the center then add wet to the the dry ingredients mixing with a silicone spatula until fully moistened.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot to 350-360°F. Use a small scoop (1 ½ Tbsp) to divide the batter.
- Fry in batches for around 2 minutes per side or until golden, turning as needed. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon or stainless steel spider to a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Serve immediately with honey, butter or Southern Comeback Sauce for dipping.