These cute as a button Ice Cream Cupcakes are certain to be a hit with kids of all ages. It's the best of both worlds featuring cake and ice cream all served in an edible bowl!
Easy Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe
For these cute as a button Ice Cream Cupcakes I'm giving you two serving options. You can serve them topped with a homemade buttercream frosting scooped onto the top to look like ice cream, or you can top them just before serving with a scoop of ice cream straight from the freezer.
How to Make the Best Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Ice Cream Cupcakes: All purpose flour, baking powder, salt, solid vegetable shortening (or butter) large eggs, buttermilk (or whole milk) and vanilla extract.
- For the homemade buttercream frosting you'll need: Salted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, strawberry extract and heavy cream.
- For ice cream topping: Any flavor of ice cream you like. Vanilla, strawberry or chocolate.
- You'll also need a quality hot fudge sauce or Magic Shell, maraschino cherries (with or without the stem) broken sugar cones and sprinkles.
- Can I use a cake mix? You could, if that's your preference. A butter flavored cake mix would be great. You could also use chocolate cake mix if you'd like to make a variety of cake flavors. This is a fun dessert and meant to be made to suit your fancy.
- Should you serve these frosted with homemade buttercream frosting you can serve them in cupcake liners without the waffle cone bowl. The garnishes of maraschino cherries, sprinkle and broken sugar cones is the same either way.
- Should you serve these topped with a scoop of ice cream you can remove the cupcake liner, place the cupcake into a waffle cone bowl, top with a generous scoop of ice cream. Next, drizzle the ice cream with melted chocolate or magic shell, colorful sprinkles and garnish with a maraschino cherry and a piece of broken sugar cones and serve.
- When making these topped with ice cream, you can still make them in advance and simply freeze until serving. When doing so, fully assemble with the liner, then remove the liner prior to popping into a waffle cone bowl for eating.
- If you want to assemble these Ice Cream Cupcakes just before serving, make the cupcakes up to 2 days in advance and store chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You may also enjoy setting up a toppings bar and let everyone decorate their own for interactive dessert fun.
More Cupcake Recipes to Make
- You'll thrill your dessert lovers with my hand held Banana Pudding Cupcakes!
- These Chocolate Samoa Cupcakes are topped with toasted coconut and drizzled with caramel.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes are perfection for showers, weddings and special events.
- Red White and Blue Cupcakes are ready for any Patriotic celebration.
- The Double Chocolate Cupcakes are topped with a homemade peanut butter cream that's to die for.
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are a nostalgic dessert that never gets old.
- Start your morning with a Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes with your cup of joe.
- Devil's Food Cupcakes from Recipe Girl.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ice Cream Cupcakes
- ½ cup salted butter OR solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract (or use 2 teaspoon total of vanilla)
- 2-4 tablespoon heavy cream plus additional as needed
- Ice Cream:
- 1 gallon any flavor ice cream
- 1 16 oz jar hot fudge ice cream topping OR Magic Shell
- sprinkles, maraschino cherries and broken sugar cone pieces for garnishing. (If serving with ice cream, waffle cone bowls)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 cups of a standard size muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- To Make Cupcakes: In a medium bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium high speed for 2 minutes just until fluffy. Add sugar, beating until fluffy and combined.
- Add the eggs, beat well. Lower the speed of the mixer adding the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla extract, beat just until evenly distributed.
- Use a scoop to divide the batter between evenly filling each liner about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or just until the top springs back when touched or a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To Make Buttercream Icing: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter for 2 minutes. Lower the speed of the mixer gradually adding powdered sugar. Add vanilla beating until combined. Add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until the icing is smooth.
- If using buttercream: Use an scoop to top each cupcake. Warm chocolate in the microwave just until drizzle consistency (not hot). Drizzle the buttercream with chocolate and decorate with sprinkles while chocolate is still wet, topping with a cherry and broken sugar cone pieces. Place into a cupcake keeper and chill until serving.
- If using ice cream: Use an ice cream scoop to top each cupcake. Warm chocolate in the microwave just until drizzle consistency (not hot). Drizzle the ice cream with chocolate and decorate with sprinkles while chocolate is still wet, topping with a cherry broken sugar cone pieces. Place into the freezer until serving.