This tasty Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf is an incredible way to rock your side dish options. It's amazing as an accompaniment alongside chicken or pork and also serves as a mighty tasty bed for grilled kabobs. It's packed with flavor and a delightful way to serve-up the Italian flavors we all love.
Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf
Life you, my life is incredibly busy so, I tend to gravitate to easy side dish recipes. As things usually happen in my kitchen, this rice pilaf was born out of a need to put dinner on the table using the ingredients I already had on hand. While I love making, eating and serving Cajun dirty rice this particular day I needed an Italian side dish in a hurry. Fortunately, my family loves Italian flavors and rice so, I knew they would likely take to this pilaf, too. Don't you love it, when you make the right call and everyone's happy?
Italian Flavors Shine in Italian Rice Pilaf
I think they could have eaten this Italian sausage-laced rice pilaf as the entire meal without a single complaint. The ease of preparation includes the fact that it reheats beautifully making it perfect for make-ahead meal prep and stress-free entertaining. This Italian rice pilaf is topped with grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts making it a dish that's delicious and company worthy. For a meat free version, your vegetarian friends may enjoy this Garden Vegetable Rice Pilaf from Vegan in the Freezer.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb Sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 2 cups long grain rice uncooked
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped Italian parsley divided
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the onion and red bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic to the skillet cooking for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the sausage. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain all but 2 tablespoon drippings from the pan.
- Add the uncooked rice to the sausage and stir to coat with the drippings. Cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the rice to brown slightly.
- Add the chicken broth, 1 tablespoon parsley, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Rest for 5 minutes covered on the counter.
- Just before serving mix-in the Parmesan cheese, butter and remaining parsley. Stir well.
- Serve immediately garnished with toasted pine nuts and a sprinkle of additional Parmesan cheese.
Melissa, Is the sausage left whole, sliced or removed from the casing?
The sausage should be crumbled and yes, removed from the casing.
This looks really yummy. Any ideas for a substitution for pine nuts? My son has an allergy to them specifically and I would need to replace or remove them. Thanks
Thanks Karen! I would substitute with almonds or leave them out altogether.