This tasty Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf is an incredible way to rock your side dish options. It's amazing as an accompaniment alongside chicken or pork and also serves as a mighty tasty bed for grilled kabobs. It's packed with flavor and a delightful way to serve-up the Italian flavors we all love.
Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf
Life you, my life is incredibly busy so, I tend to gravitate to easy side dish recipes. As things usually happen in my kitchen, this rice pilaf was born out of a need to put dinner on the table using the ingredients I already had on hand. While I love making, eating and serving Cajun dirty rice this particular day I needed an Italian side dish in a hurry. Fortunately, my family loves Italian flavors and rice so, I knew they would likely take to this pilaf, too. Don't you love it, when you make the right call and everyone's happy?
Italian Flavors Shine in Italian Rice Pilaf
I think they could have eaten this Italian sausage-laced rice pilaf as the entire meal without a single complaint. The ease of preparation includes the fact that it reheats beautifully making it perfect for make-ahead meal prep and stress-free entertaining. This Italian rice pilaf is topped with grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts making it a dish that's delicious and company worthy. For a meat free version, your vegetarian friends may enjoy this Garden Vegetable Rice Pilaf from Vegan in the Freezer.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Sausage Rice Pilaf
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb Sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 2 cups long grain rice uncooked
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley divided
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the onion and red bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic to the skillet cooking for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the sausage. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain all but 2 Tbsp drippings from the pan.
- Add the uncooked rice to the sausage and stir to coat with the drippings. Cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the rice to brown slightly.
- Add the chicken broth, 1 Tbsp parsley, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Rest for 5 minutes covered on the counter.
- Just before serving mix-in the Parmesan cheese, butter and remaining parsley. Stir well.
- Serve immediately garnished with toasted pine nuts and a sprinkle of additional Parmesan cheese.