Teriyaki Rice Pilaf With Mushrooms And Peas – I think rice much like potatoes is super versatile. Growing up my Mom made rice in some form weekly. In fact, her chicken and rice casserole remains one of my favorite childhood dishes. At the time, mushrooms weren’t my favorite part of the dish, but I grew to love them. I started giving my kids rice at a very young age and they love it, too. So dishes like this teriyaki rice with mushrooms and peas is perfect for me to serve as a quick and easy side dish with most any main dish entree.
You can make this dish with soy sauce, too if you have that on hand but teriyaki has much more flavor in my opinion. I often whip this up using leftover rice which makes it a quick 15 minute side dish and can be made while you’re busy making the entree of your choice.
- 16 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 6 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked long grain white rice
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup frozen petite peas
- Heat a few drizzles of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms. Saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have released their juices, softened and browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced green onions, minced garlic, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic salt and black pepper. Add additional olive oil if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Lower the heat and add the cooked rice, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Continue to cook over medium until the rice is heated through..
- Add the frozen peas and stir over low heat until the peas are crisp tender.
- Serve immediately garnished with additional green onion, if desired.