When you need a unique and mouthwatering dish to serve alongside your favorite entrees, this Teriyaki Rice Pilaf With Mushrooms and Peas is just the ticket. It takes rice to another level and is certain to become amongst your most requested sides to share with family and friends.
Teriyaki Rice Pilaf a Family Side Dish Favorite
Similar to potatoes, rice is versatile and simple to transform. During Colonial days, rice was grown primarily in the low country of South Carolina and then it spread to other parts of the South Atlantic and Gulf states. Rice has been incorporated into many classic Southern dishes and when I was growing up, my Mom made rice in some form weekly. In fact, her chicken and rice casserole remains one of my favorite childhood dishes. As a girl, mushrooms weren't my favorite part of the dish, but I grew to love them. I started giving my kids rice at a very young age and they love it, too. So, dishes like this teriyaki rice with mushrooms and peas is perfect for me to serve as a quick and easy side dish with most any main dish entree. You may also like to try this Classic Rice Pilaf from Recipe Girl.
Teriyaki Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms and Peas
You can make this teriyaki rice with soy sauce in a pinch but, keep in mind teriyaki will lend a more complex flavor to the dish overall. I often whip this up using leftover rice which makes it a quick 15 minute side dish and can be made while you're busy making the entrée of your choice. this simple dish is simple enough or a weekday meal but, delicious enough for company.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Teriyaki Rice Pilaf With Mushrooms And Peas
- 16 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked long grain white rice
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup frozen petite peas
- Heat a few drizzles of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms. Saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have released their juices, softened and browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced green onions, minced garlic, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic salt and black pepper. Add additional olive oil if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Lower the heat and add the cooked rice, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Continue to cook over medium until the rice is heated through..
- Add the frozen peas and stir over low heat until the peas are crisp tender.
- Serve immediately garnished with additional green onion, if desired.