Kickin' Fried Shrimp
What's the Breading Like?
The flour-cornmeal breading for this kickin' shrimp provides just the right balance between crispy and crunchy. It's always a plus that fried shrimp cook quickly, too. They're easy to pop and even harder to stop popping making them guaranteed to disappear in flash. Serve them with tarter sauce, cocktail sauce or one of our favorites, Yum Yum Sauce.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Kickin' Fried Shrimp
- 2 lb medium raw shrimp peeled, deveined tails removed
- 2 ½ cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 3 ½ tsp seafood seasoning divided [i.e. Seafood Magic, Old Bay, Cajun-Creole]
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 6-8 cups vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- Season the shrimp with ½ tsp seafood seasoning and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the self-rising flour, cornmeal, 3 tsp seafood seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground cumin.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 large eggs and 1 ½ cups whole buttermilk.
- Toss the seasoned shrimp with ⅓ cup of the seasoned flour-cornmeal breading.
- Spread out into a single layer so they won't clump.
- Dip each piece in the buttermilk-egg wash.
- Toss in the seasoned flour-cornmeal breading shaking off any excess.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan to 350°F. Do not overfill the pot.
- Fry the shrimp in batches for 2-3 minutes [depending on the size of the shrimp] until golden and crispy. Adjust the heat periodically to maintain the temperature of the oil while frying.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the crispy golden shrimp to a paper towel lined pan to drain.
- Repeat until all of the shrimp is fried. Sprinkle with additional seasoning after frying, if desired. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.