The bright flavor of lemon in this sweet and tangy Lemon Burst Buttermilk Cake is a flavor combination that’s universal. It’s one of those desserts that will brighten the dreariest of days ideal served just as it is for brunch with a cup of coffee or hot tea, or served as a simple dessert with berries and cream.
Lemon Burst Buttermilk Cake
Cakes made from scratch are the best kind of cakes. While I do occasionally develop recipes using a cake mix and have several recipes here on my website that begin with a mix, when time allows I prefer baking from scratch. I find it a challenge that’s both satisfying and fun to take everyday ingredients and flavors then mix them together to create something special. Especially, when the end result is as sweet as this lemon cream glazed cake. A loaf cake is ideal for those occasions that may be a bit more informal or for when a smaller portion dessert is all that’s needed. For brunch, tea or dessert this lemon cake will satisfy your sweet spot. Other lemon goodies you may like to try is my Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake and Lemon Cookies via Love From the Oven.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Burst Buttermilk Cake
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large lemons juiced and zested
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest from lemons
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice from lemons
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray (2) 8 x 4 1/2 x 5-inch metal loaf pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy then add the eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- Reserve 1 1/2 Tbsp of lemon zest for the glaze adding the rest to the creamed butter and eggs.
- Mix together 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice with 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add to the mixing bowl alternately with the sifted dry ingredients. Beat until fully combined and all of the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
- Divide the batter between the 2 loaf pans. Bounce the pans to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, Mix together the powdered sugar, heavy cream, lemon zest and lemon juice until drizzling consistency. If needed add additional cream 1 tsp at a time to thin.
- Drizzle the loaf with glaze, sprinkle with 1/2 Tbsp zest, slice and serve.