My Mom's Dressing for Cole Slaw
Author: Melissa Sperka
Serves: Dressing for 2lb cole slaw
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 [16 oz] bags of deli style cole slaw mix
- 4 chopped green onions
- Over medium heat in a stove top sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Whisk in the vinegar. Over low heat whisk in the flour, lemon juice and seasonings. Whisk until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl, then pour 2 tablespoon of the warm liquid into the beaten egg yolks to temper them.
- Slowly drizzle the egg yolks into the vinegar mixture, whisking continually. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove top and beat in 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Beat for 2 minutes or until the dressing has thickened and is light yellow in color. Cool completely.
- After the dressing has cooled pour over the chopped cole slaw and green onions. Mix well.
- Let the cole slaw chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed, and stir well before serving.