Hearty comforting dishes like Steak and Potato Pie are always a welcome sight on our dinner table. The filling is made with tender perfectly seasoned pieces of sirloin steak that are simmered in a rich sauce that creates its own gravy. Add mushrooms, sweet onion and chunks of golden potatoes then bake wrapped in a double pastry crust until golden. Absolute deliciousness there’s just no other way to describe it.
Rich and Hearty Steak and Potato Pie
Steak and potato pie is a main dish that’s commonly eaten abroad. My love of meat pies started quite young. while living in South Africa with my family. My Parents were missionaries and I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to travel, live abroad and experience other cultures and cuisines. Meat pies were common fare and I was hooked from my first bite as it reminded me so much of a Southern style chicken pot pie. While I’ve always enjoyed steak and potato pie, I have tasted some versions that were quite bland in flavor due to lack of seasonings. This recipe is my take on meat pie seasoned the way we like it.
Steak and Potato Pie Making Tips
I recommend that you make the filling for the pie in advance and cool it for the best result. The reason? Doing this allows the filling to reheat gently in the oven and the double pie crust doesn’t become soggy. It also allows the gravy time to thicken. Can you use it the same day you prepare it? Of course, just allow the filling a little time to cool before assembling the pie. I prefer to bake this pie in a cast iron skillet for the even heating and the beautiful way it bakes the bottom crust. You can make this in any similar size pan, if you desire. Serve it with a side of steamed vegetables and a salad and it’s a carnivore’s feast.You may also like: 15 Comfort Filled Ways To Make Pot Pie, Instant Pot Beef Pot Pie, Steak and Ale Pies and Jamaican Beef Turnovers.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Steak and Potato Pie
- 2 1/2 lb top sirloin steak bite size cubes
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp steak sauce i.e. A.1.
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 cup diced portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 large sprig fresh Thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups golden potatoes 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbsp cold water
- Place steak cubes, flour, garlic salt, pepper, paprika and cumin into a large plastic storage bag. Seal bag and toss to coat.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil and butter. Add flour coated steak. Cook over medium high just until browned on all sides.
- Add broth, ketchup, steak sauce, mushrooms, onion, thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil then Immediately lower the heat to medium low, Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes to the pot. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf and thyme. Cool slightly or chill overnight. (Tip: Filling may be chilled then placed into freezer bag and frozen for future meal)
- To prepare: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring pie crusts to room temperature per package instructions. Fit one crust firmly onto the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet
- Pour filling into crust. Top with second crust and crimp the edges together. Cut slits on top.
- Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden. Rest for 15 minutes, cut and serve.