This spectacular Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie is homemade comfort food at it's finest! A rich a hearty filling is topped with fluffy soft biscuits turning this classic one-dish-meal into a taste of the South in your mouth.
Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
I could serve chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings every other day at my house without a single complaint from my family. Not one. This biscuit topped chicken pot pie packs double the comfort and it's super simple to make. This pot pie recipe begins on the stovetop and is finished in the oven to bake the biscuits on top. Drop biscuits are the simplest of biscuits to make and using an ice cream scoop keeps them uniform in size for even baking. This comforting dish is inspired by my own Mom who made pot pie for us regularly when we were growing up. It's a one dish meal filled with love that simply never gets old.
Other Pot Pie Recipe to Add to the Menu
One mention of "pot pie" and the listener knows immediately that you're talking about down home comfort food. For that reason, you may also enjoy these recipes:
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie is a twist on classic pot pie.
- Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a one dish meal.
- Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie made in a cast iron skillet makes the crust bake golden brown.
- This recipe for Magic Chicken Pie from The Midnight Baker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Poultry Magic or Rotisserie Chicken seasoning
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half and half
- 3 cup roasted chicken roughly chopped
- 1 10 oz package frozen mixed vegetable steamed and drained
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried
- 2 cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 ½-2 cups whole buttermilk or heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp melted butter to brush the tops
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. On the stovetop in a 10-inch cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet, melt the butter. Add the green onion and minced garlic and cook over medium-high for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle ¼ cup all purpose flour over the butter. Add the poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper to your taste. Stir until the butter is absorbed.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and half & half. Simmer until thickened around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, steamed mixed vegetables and chopped tarragon. Stir until evenly combined.
- For the biscuits, in a medium mixing bowl, mix together the self-rising flour, Parmesan cheese, and chives. Add 1 ½ cup heavy cream or whole buttermilk, adding additional as needed to form a soft dough.
- Use a 2 oz ice cream scoop to form the biscuit topping. Space evenly on top. Brush the tops with additional cream or melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and the biscuits are cooked through. Broil if needed to brown the tops.