Broccoli and cheddar cheese go together like peas and carrots and they pair beautifully in this Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie. This chicken pot pie takes a classic up a notch with a creamy cheddar cheese sauce that smothers roasted chicken and tender broccoli florets. It's a hearty one dish meal that comes together in a snap.
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
Just like many of you, when it comes to meal time most days I have to get creative with what I have on hand. Some of my best recipes are dishes I created out of desperation and a need to get dinner on the table without a trip to the grocery store. Granted, my pantry stays pretty well stocked with ingredients that can be transformed in a pinch but, sometimes it's simply a need to use up a montage of ingredients before they spoil. Waste not want not.
Chicken Pot Pie with a Twist
It's said that necessity is the mother of invention, and that's exactly how this pie was created. I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge from my local Costco, a package of refrigerated pie crusts and a block of sharp cheddar cheese that had to be used. The broccoli florets were leftover from a previous meal. After setting them all onto the kitchen counter, I wondered how I might transform them into one dish and that's when chicken pot pie came to mind.
Pot Pie and Being Fearless in the Kitchen
When it comes to creativity, my mantra is be fearless in the kitchen. I had no idea this propensity for creating recipes would lead to a career path where I would develop recipes professionally for many Brands. but, I digress. I put all of my leftover ingredients together and it became what is now this variation of classic chicken pot pie. Trust me, this broccoli cheddar version of chicken pot pie has been family tested and approved. It turned out so very tasty, that it was unanimous that it should become part of our regular dinner time rotation. Mission accomplished. For more savory pie inspiration checkout these cute little Mini Chicken Pot Pies from The Food Charlatan.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 14 oz package refrigerated pie crust, bring to room temperature per instructions
- 2 Tbsp light butter or butter
- 3 green onion chopped
- 1 cup whole milk plus 3 Tbsp
- 4 oz onion & chive cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3 cup rotisserie chicken roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets steamed crisp tender and chopped
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch deep dish pie dish with cooking spray. Fit one pie crust into the dish leaving enough overhang to crimp with the top crust. Set aside.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Cook the green onion just until softened around 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream cheese. Cook over medium-heat stirring until the cream cheese has melted., Add the garlic salt, black pepper and ground mustard.
- Dissolve flour in 3 Tbsp cold milk until dissolved. If needed, add more milk 1 Tbsp at a time. Whisk the flour slurry into the the sauce.. Cook over medium-high stirring constantly until thickened. Once the sauce begins to thicken lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes mix-in 1 ½ cup shredded cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chicken and broccoli florets. Mix until combined then pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Fit the second crust on top. Fold and crimp the edges of the two pie crusts together. Cut 4 slits in the middle of the pie.
- Whisk together the egg and cold water and brush over the the entire crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.