This Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie recipe features rotisserie chicken and tender broccoli florets smothered with a creamy homemade cheddar cheese sauce. It's a fusion of flavors that always satisfies and it becomes a hearty one dish meal.
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Just like many of you, when it comes to meal time most days I have to get creative with what I have on hand. Some of my best recipes are dishes I created out of a need to get dinner on the table without a trip to the grocery store. Granted, my pantry stays pretty well stocked with ingredients that can be transformed in a pinch but, sometimes it's simply a need to use up a montage of ingredients before they spoil. Waste not want not.
How to Make the Best Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
It's said that necessity is the mother of invention, and that's exactly how this pie was created. I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge from my local Costco, a package of refrigerated pie crusts and a block of sharp cheddar cheese that had to be used. The broccoli florets were leftover from a previous meal.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie: one box refrigerated pie crusts (i.e. Pillsbury or similar) chopped rotisserie chicken, butter, green onions, whole milk, garlic salt, black pepper, all purpose flour, chive and onion cream cheese, steamed broccoli florets, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and one large egg beaten with water for the egg wash.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A deep dish 9 or 10 inch pie pan, sharp knife and cutting board, skillet, whisk, measuring cups and spoons and cheese grater.
- The chicken for this recipe is cooked. You can use rotisserie chicken, poached chicken, leftover roast chicken or grilled chicken.
- When streaming the broccoli florets it's best to leave them slightly crisp in texture, not fully tender. The broccoli will finish cooking with the rest of the ingredients while baking.
- The chive and onion cream cheese adds body and flavor to the sauce. You could use plain cream cheese in a pinch but you may need to adjust the seasonings to accommodate.
- You can use finely diced onion in place of green onions.
- If your would prefer to make your own pie crust, checkout my Flaky Pie Crust recipe.
- You can store baked Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Savory Pie Recipes to Make
After combining leftovers for this recipe it became what is now this variation of classic chicken pot pie. It's been family tested and approved. More savory pies you may also like to make:
- Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a rich and hearty one dish meal.
- Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie can be served at any meal.
- Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie is a downhome version of the original pot using a pastry crust.
- Skip the buns and enjoy a Bacon Cheeseburger Pie with a hash brown crust for supper.
- My recipe for Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is a fan favorite!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Crescent Pie is a quick and easy entrée you can make any day of the week.
- Seafood Pie from Epicurious.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 14 oz package refrigerated pie crust, bring to room temperature per instructions
- 2 tablespoon light butter or butter
- 3 green onion chopped
- 1 cup whole milk plus 3 Tbsp
- 4 oz onion & chive cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3 cup rotisserie chicken roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets steamed crisp tender and chopped
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch deep dish pie dish with cooking spray. Fit one pie crust into the dish leaving enough overhang to crimp with the top crust. Set aside.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Cook the green onion just until softened around 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream cheese. Cook over medium-heat stirring until the cream cheese has melted., Add the garlic salt, black pepper and ground mustard.
- Dissolve flour in 3 tablespoon cold milk until dissolved. If needed, add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Whisk the flour slurry into the the sauce.. Cook over medium-high stirring constantly until thickened. Once the sauce begins to thicken lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes mix-in 1 ½ cup shredded cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chicken and broccoli florets. Mix until combined then pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Fit the second crust on top. Fold and crimp the edges of the two pie crusts together. Cut 4 slits in the middle of the pie.
- Whisk together the egg and cold water and brush over the the entire crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Hi amazing pie 🥧, make it so often, however had a question can this pie be frozen whole before baking
Sincerely Melissa little
Hi Melissa, yes you can. After cooling completely wrap it up and freeze it.