Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
Servings: 8 full size or 32 appetizer size pieces
- 1 [11 or 13 oz] refrigerated pizza crust or 1 lb homemade pizza dough
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto [I used Classico]
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- salt & black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 oz light feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup finely shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Press the pizza dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper into roughly an 8 x 13 inch rectangle.
- Spread the basil pesto evenly over the crust leaving about 1/2 inch of crust around the edge.
- In a stove top pan, heat the olive oil and add the mushrooms and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook over medium-high heat for around 4 minutes then lower the heat to medium.
- Continue to cook for another 15 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize and the mushrooms have browned.
- Sprinkle in a few pepper flakes and the balsamic vinegar and cook just long enough for the vinegar to evaporate.
- To assemble, Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese over the pesto, then layer the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with the feta, the remaining mozzarella and parsley.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice into 8 full size or 32 appetizer size pieces