This Pizza Grilled Cheese recipe is a grown-up grilled cheese sandwich that's gooey and full flavored. An unexpected layer of romaine adds crunch and texture to complete the flavor profile.
Easy Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe
Grilled cheese sandwiches are not only kid food anymore. They can be stuffed with a variety of fillings and this recipe reflects that. How do you make a Pizza Grilled Cheese? To make this recipe you'll need a non-stick skillet or griddle. Butter each side of bread then lay buttered side down in the pan. Spread with pizza sauce, then begin layering with cheese, pepperoni and romaine. Top with another slice of cheese then grill until golden. Give the sandwich a careful flip, holding it firmly to prevent it from coming apart. Grill until the second side is golden brown and toasted, then slice and enjoy.
How to Make the Best Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Ingredients to make homemade Pizza Grilled Cheese: Thick cut Italian bread, olive oil rosemary bread or Texas toast, pizza sauce, sliced pepperoni, sliced mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, mixed salad greens and softened butter.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A griddle, grill pan or large skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a turning spatula.
- I love adding a layer of romaine or green leaf lettuce to these grilled cheese sandwiches. Both lettuces will hold up to the heat while grilled. You may choose to omit, if desired. In place of the Romaine lettuce, you could use a salad mix. The best salad mix to use is one that has few ribs and not too chunky. An Italian blend best. If preferred, you can omit this as well. They add a nice crunch to the texture overall.
- You can have fun with these grilled cheese adding cooked and crumbled sausage, sliced black olives and diced bell peppers or pepperoncini. When using bell peppers, it's best to sauté them prior to cook them as they won't cook long enough to soften when combined with the remaining ingredients for the sandwiches.
- You can serve these with warm pizza sauce or Caesar salad dressing on the side for dipping.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese are best made and served. Should you have leftovers ( I doubt you will!) you can reheat in an air fryer, toaster oven or a skillet over medium heat. Leave off the lettuce.
More Pizza Inspired Recipes to Make
Pizza anything is always a winning choice for supper. More pizza recipes you may also like to try:
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls are a fun appetizer that kids of all ages love.
- Skip the buns and enjoy a hamburger flavors featured on this Easy Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza.
- Supreme Pizza Dip is always a winner.
- Start your day with this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza.
- Pull Apart Stuffed Pizza Rolls for casual meals and snacking.
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken can be served with a side of pasta and a salad to complete the meal.
- Upside Down Pizza from Spaceships and Laser Beams.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices thick cut Italian bread
- 3 tablespoon salted or unsalted butter, softened
- 8 thick cut slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 tablespoon pizza sauce plus additional ½-1 cup for dipping
- 32 slices pepperoni (adjust amount using more or less to taste)
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups chopped Romaine or Green leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley for garnishing
- To assemble: Spread each bread slice on one side with 1 teaspoon butter. Lay buttered side down on a griddle, non stick grill pan or in a skillet. (It's best to do this off the heat then place onto the stovetop or heat griddle to give you time to assemble.)
- Next, spread 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce onto each bread slice. Top with 1 slice of cheese. 8 slices pepperoni, about 1 ½ teaspoons chopped basil leaves. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce then top with ½ cup romaine. Place second slice of cheese and buttered bread slice, buttered-side up.
- To cook: Heat griddle, grill pan or skillet to medium high heat. Immediately lower to medium. Cook grilled cheese for 3-5 minutes per side, turning once or until golden and cheese has melted.
- Slice and serve immediately garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley with warm pizza sauce and Caesar salad dressing for dipping.
Leave a Reply